• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract - Charging travel & hotels back to agency\client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b r View Post
    Not sure if others have said, but what you spend and what you charge don't have to be the same :-)

My last client would pay for 2nd class travel whereas I went 1st class - sometimes it cost me next to nothing extra, other times more.

But I still charged my company the full cost to me.
    I'm happy to do this - quieter carriages, bigger tables etc. but how do you charge a 2nd class ticket price say of £80 and your paying £150? Or do you just throw in the mileage instead......?

Comment

Originally posted by philo View Post
      I'm happy to do this - quieter carriages, bigger tables etc. but how do you charge a 2nd class ticket price say of £80 and your paying £150? Or do you just throw in the mileage instead......?
      The latter is fraud.

Plus some clients won't allow any worker to drive over certain distances. This is due to health and safety e.g. them being partially responsible for any accidents you have.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Hmm you want to go in late and finish early when you are only down there for one or two days. I'd be very careful with that. Personally I'd be putting full days in first and then when it's all settled start stretching it a little.

What do you mean claim? The business can buy them yes and if contract gets cancelled you just end up paying for something you didn't use.
        I'm not looking to take the michael at all. say i need to be in London Monday to Wednesday - more thinking of working 10 - 18.30 monday, 8 - 5 tuesday and then wednesday 7.30 - 4 just that type of flexibility. Or even make sure you get the 4pm train and catch up on emails for an hour or 2 on way home. Certainly the first month it will be in office 8am Monday and late train Wednesday whilst i work things out. Just looking for peoples experience.

As for buying the train tickets in advance - it would make sense to buy in advance for better prices - rather than just booking the day before travel and hitting the company with the highest charge each time - but at the same times dont want to be stuck with 8 weeks of train tickets or hotels

Comment

Have to suck it up, although often I'll get a train earlier/later so I can earn the difference :-)

tbh I look at the bigger picture, and having been 'travelling' with/for work for +30 years now I'm just not prepared to slum it (privately or business) to save a few quid - plus in 1st class you get meals/drinks and free wifi.

Comment

Yes - paid for all expenses incurred in travelling and staying at other sites with ******** being the home location, for which expenses will not be covered.
            If "********" is not your home, but is the client's office, then they will NOT be paying for your train or hotel when you are at that office, they will only pay expenses when you are working on other sites.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              If "********" is not your home, but is the client's office, then they will NOT be paying for your train or hotel when you are at that office, they will only pay expenses when you are working on other sites.
              ***** is the northern office but I'll be required to go to London office for half the week. So i will do normal commute to the northern office without expenses chargeable to client & will going to other sites inc. London
              Last edited by philo; 13 April 2017, 09:26.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The latter is fraud.

Plus some clients won't allow any worker to drive over certain distances. This is due to health and safety e.g. them being partially responsible for any accidents you have.
                I agree not something i'd be doing and anyone driving into London for 4+ hours opposed to a 2 hour train would need their head checking

Comment

I agree not something i'd be doing and anyone driving into London for 4+ hours opposed to a 2 hour train would need their head checking
                  If you have the name of the person/people you met at interview from the client, phone them up today and ask them if they can tell you the client's travel policy.

Make sure you ask about any hotel chains they have an agreement with, and how they would like you to book.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unused train tickets can be returned and a refund obtained, albeit minus an admin fee. This mitigates the risk of purchasing tickets a long way in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      The latter is fraud.

I disagree that it's fraud. You are charging your client an agree rate for travel. If you travel a different method so what? I admit that if they find out then you may have to answer some tough questions and they may sack at the earliest opportunity.

It becomes fraud if you claim the mileage personally from your company when you went by train as you defrauding HMRC of revenue.

IANAL.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X