• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS Business - avoid! Recommendations please...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RBS Business - avoid! Recommendations please...

Just started contracting and thought I was making a sensible choice with RBS for my Business bank account - bricks and mortar, local branch, 2 years free etc.

How wrong can I be? They're a complete shower of tulip! What's more, they're changing to W&G and won't have a local branch soon.

I'd like some recommendations for a bank that make things nice and simple. Lloyds? Santander? Barclays? HSBC? Metro?

Read on if you want to hear how inept they've been...

I applied online for the account in February before I started my first contract. Had to chase them 2 weeks later because I'd had nothing, not even an acknowledgement. They sent me a load of paperwork to fill in, and had to take it to the branch with proof of ID. That was quick and easy enough.

10 days later I hadn't heard so I called them to chase. I got a letter the next day saying they wanted to conduct a "Business Review" and to call them up.

I called and found out that I was only able to book the appointment, not do the review. So that was a week later, and at least was done over the phone.

Eventually the account is set up and I got my shiny debit card and managed to login to the account online. By which point I've completed a month of work and had a payment into my account so I can see the money.

I've just logged in to set up a payee so I can pay my wages.....and it won't let me because I haven't activated the "being able to make payments" facility of my account.

I decided to phone them up to try and sort it over the phone, and the jokes just kept coming. They have to send me an activation code which is either by post or by SMS - they can't select which one, only request it and then let the system decide how it wants to send it. I'll get it within 7 working days!

My last hope was that I could use a card reader machine. Except, I haven't received one. And the online system won't let me use one anyway, because it knows I haven't got one. Even though my NatWest one will apparently work, there's no way for me to bypass that check on their system.

I'd already decided that I'd look for a better account provider, but I can't do it soon enough now.

YMMV but Barclays were pretty helpful for me. Account opened on the spot. Online banking shortly afterwards. No PIN machine needed, I use the phone app. First year free of charges. Blankety Blank chequebook and pen. I haven't thought of anything I need that they haven't provided. But I'm a pretty undemanding customer tbh. Lots of money goes in, not very much comes out. Reasonable exchange rate on foreign deposits. They keep offering me a foreign currency account (no charge) but I'm too scaredy to play the markets.

Comment

Thanks @Platypus

Comment

I've been with Santander for 10 years now and can't fault them. Everything has been straightforward and free, not sure if it is it still fee free or not, but worth a look. I think it might all be done via post / telephone though, I've never been into a branch, did the application online if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
          I've been with Santander for 10 years now and can't fault them. Everything has been straightforward and free, not sure if it is it still fee free or not, but worth a look. I think it might all be done via post / telephone though, I've never been into a branch, did the application online if I remember correctly.
          +1 Santander very good. Account is online managed and very easy to use + UK based call centre. No branch service available for business banking but there again never been needed.

Comment

I've got two RBS Business accounts for two different businesses.

Never had a problem with them. Account set up was easy and if you took notice of the literature they gave you you'd know you had to request a card reader to set up or change payments. You don't need the card reader once the payment is set up. You're criticising them for not acting upon the information you gave them when it looks like you are guilty of exactly the same thing. And you're unhappy cause you can't bypass their system ??? Really ?? LOL
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Never had a problem with them. Account set up was easy and if you took notice of the literature they gave you you'd know you had to request a card reader to set up or change payments. You don't need the card reader once the payment is set up. You're criticising them for not acting upon the information you gave them when it looks like you are guilty of exactly the same thing.
              This +1.

It will be interesting how you handle you other business from now on in.
              Some of the moans people have on here with regards to certain services, baking, accountancy etc. often seem entirely of their own making.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Never had a problem with them. Account set up was easy and if you took notice of the literature they gave you you'd know you had to request a card reader to set up or change payments. You don't need the card reader once the payment is set up. You're criticising them for not acting upon the information you gave them when it looks like you are guilty of exactly the same thing. And you're unhappy cause you can't bypass their system ??? Really ?? LOL
                Reasonably fair point. I'll have to check back through the paperwork to see if they did, indeed, tell me that. However, apparently I don't need a card reader if I have an activation code. So, I'll check the paperwork for reference to that too.

And, apparently, my existing NatWest card reader should work, but they didn't ask if I already had one and give me no option to use it instead of the RBS supplied one. But they told me on the phone that it would work, so it's a bit of a farce. That's what I meant about bypassing the system - I have a card reader, but they provide no way to let me use it despite telling me that it'll work.

It just seems ridiculous to me that I can set up a bank account which is automatically able to receive payments, but isn't automatically able to make payments. I can't imagine why one would ever want such an arrangement!

The joke continues this morning. I received an activation code, by SMS which is the fastest possible route. I should be happy. Except there's no option to enter it online, so I guess I have to call them again.

This is 2017, stuff like this should be very straight forward. That's my complaint.

Comment

I have a degree of sympathy with the OP. Opening a business accounts can be painful. I had thought that RBS had their act together though. You do need to read through the paperwork but if you opened it in a branch then I agree the staff should have helped you.

That said, as a service provider myself, I do find myself dealing with complaints from clients when the real problem is with the client. Today, I received a strongly worded complaint because we filed a clients accounts late with companies house. Never mind that the client didn't provide us with information through the year like the SLA states he should. Never mind that he never provided is with bank statements (paper copies I might add) until four days before filing deadline. And never mind that he still took three weeks to sign off the accounts despite emails, calls and text messages. It was still out fault. Such is the lot of a service provider in the entitled age.

Comment

Simple solution is to ditch RBS and open an account elsewhwere that is easier to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X