• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS Business - avoid! Recommendations please...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Simple solution is to ditch RBS and open an account elsewhwere that is easier to do.
    This is also a good idea. Has the OP looked at any of the challenger banks. Metro and Cashplus open accounts instantly I believe. Nothing fancy but probably enough for a straightforward contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      This +1.

It will be interesting how you handle you other business from now on in.
      Some of the moans people have on here with regards to certain services, baking, accountancy etc. often seem entirely of their own making.
      No necessarily.

Service varies due to the person you are dealing with and how they deal with queries and issues.

I've had shocking service from Nationwide for example so much so the FOS made them pay me compensation.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        No necessarily.

Service varies due to the person you are dealing with and how they deal with queries and issues.

I've had shocking service from Nationwide for example so much so the FOS made them pay me compensation.
        Hence my use of the word "some".

Totally agree
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by JustRodders View Post
          Metro.
          Zero hassle. Account/online banking opened on the spot. Also check the branch opening days/hours and compare them with the likes of Lloyds, NatWest, etc.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

TL;DR

W&G programme was shut down last year so that won't happen.

I use HSBC, they're ok. I don't expect much though. Initial free banking and now it's £5.50 a month. Online and app banking work well, rarely need to talk to a human.

Metro were good when I opened a personal savings account so I could empty my penny jar into their machines (you don't need an account to use them btw). I did contemplate moving over to them but CBA.

Comment

ID vetting is a part of life these days. All banks are obliged to meet you in person and take a copy of your photo ID of choice. The same applies to employers. They have to be sure you are entitled to work in the UK. This can be interesting when banks are closing branches everywhere and agencies may be no-where near you or the client site.

I've had many agencies just accept a copy of your passport as an email attachment but they are supposed to see you in person and verify that the photo matches.

It's time both offered a proper service and came out to meet you rather than the other way around.

Banks in general are useless. My personal banking is with First Direct, who continually win awards for customer satisfaction, but in all honesty only do what you would expect them to do. They still block my card every time I go to Thailand despite me phoning them to say I am going. They then try to phone me at home and get no reply.

I've worked for 3 banks and a card payment company and wouldn't trust any of them to get things right.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                It's time both offered a proper service and came out to meet you rather than the other way around.
                Agents or bankers visiting me at home? Thanks, but no thanks. Banks don't need to close their branches, they need to keep them open outside of other people's work hours and on weekends.
                You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Just for balance I had zero problems opening a business account with RBS; went in the branch and found out what to do, had a 'business meeting' and took in some ID, got an account, got a PIN machine thingy and cheque book, all fairly straightforward. Use online and app without any trouble. Maybe I'm too simple.

Comment

I use Barclay's, and just do the basics with it. payments in and out, direct debits, pay cheques into branches occasionally.

Reasonably easy to set it up.
                    Internet banking seems quite good to me.
                    Mobile app works well, and isn't a PITA to log into (5 digit pin and you're in)
                    Freeagent feed is easy to setup, and doesn't require giving free agent your Online banking log in details - Barclay's seem to be on the ball in this area.

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                    Banks in general are useless. My personal banking is with First Direct, who continually win awards for customer satisfaction, but in all honesty only do what you would expect them to do.
                    And their Online Banking and mobile app are quite poor, in my opinion. As that's how I interact with a back mostly, this is why I'll be moving elsewhere at some point for my personal banking.
                    Last edited by yMyjgT; 11 April 2017, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                      Just for balance I had zero problems opening a business account with RBS; went in the branch and found out what to do, had a 'business meeting' and took in some ID, got an account, got a PIN machine thingy and cheque book, all fairly straightforward. Use online and app without any trouble. Maybe I'm too simple.
                      Sounds great. I suppose the difference might be that I applied online so went through a different process. But, to be fair, you'd hope that a bank would be able to simplify and standarize the account opening process regardless of how the customer approaches them.

In any case, it's all too late for RBS and I. As soon as I can I'll be moving my account elsewhere. Hopefully Metro, though they haven't opened a branch near me yet....it's on the cards for later this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X