• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Notice Period from Client, I can't give notice!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Most clients will tend to honour a notice period though even if there is no legal requirement for them to do so, and expect you to do the same. I've never bailed early on a contract so far, my option is that if you've signed up to X months then you have an obligation to do X months (unless something changes like a rate cut mid contract).
    It's more subtle then just not giving the contractor work as there is a requirement for both parties to honour a contract as both can resort to the courts to enforce the contract on the other party.

So while the client can say there is no more work for the contractor if the client doesn't have a genuine reason for the work being pulled them the contractor could go to court and get compensation. This is why there are cases of pregnant female contractors winning pay outs from clients, and also why clients cite performance issues to get rid of contractors quickly.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      It's more subtle then just not giving the contractor work as there is a requirement for both parties to honour a contract as both can resort to the courts to enforce the contract on the other party.

So while the client can say there is no more work for the contractor if the client doesn't have a genuine reason for the work being pulled them the contractor could go to court and get compensation. This is why there are cases of pregnant female contractors winning pay outs from clients, and also why clients cite performance issues to get rid of contractors quickly.
      Thanks SE glad to hear its not just a one way street.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        I have a similar contract I cannot give notice. No problem, if I want to leave I will go to the client and/or agency and say please sack me.
        That's all very well but I've had contracts that stated that a failure to fulfill the whole term would result the the agent making me liable for his lost commission.
        Last edited by bikeman; 11 April 2017, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
          That's all very well but I've had contracts that stated that a failure to fulfill the whole term would result the the agent making me liable for his lost commission.
          OMG and you signed it with that in?

Did you get them reviewed by someone who would negotiate it out on your behalf if you can't?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why are you accepting that term?

Contracts are there to be negotiated.

If you get a decent reviewer your contract will have terms altered to make either party go to court to recover loses if you can't make an agreement between yourselves on what is reasonable.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had one tried to pull that stunt with me once. Asked me to sign it in front of him, so I sat and started reading it... He got very agitated "Why are you reading it mate? It's a standard contract". No such thing I said. Then scribbled that line out, told him I was taking it home to study it, but I was sure it will be alright. "But you'll start Monday yes"?

Got a better offer on the Sunday, longer project, same money but 30 miles closer... So I'm really glad I didn't say yes to him.

Comment

Working...
              X