• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hypothetical Question One - Handing over companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical Question One - Handing over companies

Just a shower thought really. Let`s say I`m suddently retired and I find myself with a company that owns decent assets (say a few houses or something) what`s the deal with handing that down to my kid(s)?

Just curious as to how that all works, really.

Sell them the shares at a reasonable price? Make them directors and resign? Ask your accountant (couldn't help it)? Don't spend as long in the shower?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Write a will. Get life insurance. Start smoking and go base jumping. Sorted.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Make them directors and resign?
        How does that help? You do know there's a difference between being a director and being a shareholder...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          How does that help? You do know there's a difference between being a director and being a shareholder...
          He might know the difference between self-employed and running a LtdCo, and he might know the difference between being an employee and an officeholder.

But if he doesn't know any of those things, he could always...

...ask his accountant.

Comment

Potentially a few ways of doing this.

Gifting them the shares although this would be subject to CGT (holdover relief should be available).

Other option is to leave the shares in your will, should be free of IHT if BPR is applied. They would then get the shares at market value (from the date of your death) for CGT purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              The quality of NLUK trolling has gone south since Brexit.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/693-How...ty_Assets.html

The article is a few years old but you get the idea.

Comment

Remember there is a big difference in tax treatment between trading and non-trading companies. Trading companies you can leave to your kids with virtually no tax to pay. Non-trading companies tend to get treated like any other asset (IHT, CGT etc). Property = non-trading.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Buy a farm or a forest. Both IHT free?
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X