• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly timesheets - precautions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly timesheets - precautions?

Hi,
    Recent entrant here, and relatively new to contracting. I tried searching for this topic, but didn't find a specific answer so posting here (apologies if this has been covered before)

The gist of it is, I signed a contract today (starting on Monday), after a few months on the bench (incl. some travel). Went through some of the precautions (Qdos IR35 review) and spent most of today tangling with the agency in getting Qdos' recommendations into the contract, successfully in the end.
    I've also not Opted out, and operating via Ltd company.

The payment terms are also okay (with 5 bus. days of invoice, monthly). But the thing is, in addition to monthly invoices, the agency has a monthly timesheet process (which I understand is not all that uncommon, I guess), which is an electronic system on their portal.
    My concern is, (perhaps a paranoia, because my previous contracts have all been weekly time-sheets, even if most paid monthly), this leaves me with a month of unapproved time worked (and then they hopefully get approved in one go). And reading a few posts here about unapproved timesheets.

I understand I signed the contract willingly so not really complaining, though to be honest, was not willing to walk away, just for this and had lost my negotiating energy today after the IR35 amendments. In all likelihood all will be well though...

But the question was, is there something I could do (just as a precaution, I guess, to have my ducks in a row) to have some sort of record of time worked? I suspect the client will have their own internal time-sheet system for accounting (Fin. svc. client). Maybe a printout/saved copy of that?
    Or should I try to nudge the client, perhaps sending weekly 1 line email time-sheet and getting it approved)?
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    S

The agent should be able to answer the question, most clients have a timesheet system and if not then the agency has a timesheet system and the client has to approve the timesheet.

Enjoy the gig!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

We normally have a weekly timesheet. Sometimes where a client requires a monthly timesheet we have to do that as otherwise our timesheets and invoices won't match up. We'd prefer weekly, less credit exposure.

99.9% of the time you should be fine, just do your due diligence on the agency, make sure they have good credit rating etc and be even more wary about payment issues.
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        We normally have a weekly timesheet. Sometimes where a client requires a monthly timesheet we have to do that as otherwise our timesheets and invoices won't match up. We'd prefer weekly, less credit exposure.
        Thanks Andy, not sure if its the client driving the monthly thing (as opposed to weekly) or the agent doing its own thing. I will ask.
        I would've thought though that my timesheet and invoice (to the agency) are separate from the agency's invoice to the client but what do I know.

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        99.9% of the time you should be fine, just do your due diligence on the agency, make sure they have good credit rating etc and be even more wary about payment issues.
        Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          The agent should be able to answer the question, most clients have a timesheet system and if not then the agency has a timesheet system
          Thanks MP. In this case the agency does have a timesheet system (not sure whether client has its internal one, will find out next week). I guess if client also has internal one, that would be good, I think

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          and the client has to approve the timesheet.
          Enjoy the gig!
          Yep, hope that all goes smoothly

Comment

Client will do weekly time sheets to allocate against budgets or projects, it will be an Agent thing

Comment

Working...
            X