• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

16/17 Self Assessment Specification Errors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16/17 Self Assessment Specification Errors

From Ross Martin

Software specification error affects 2016/17 Self Assessment

Head number two may effect some CUK members

I feel less bad now at the herculean effort to model comprehensively 2016-17 12 months ago, and de bug the results.

Wait a minute - I though tax wasn't supposed to be taxing?

I read about this the other day actually, I don't think it applies to me. I didn't even know you could submit your tax return for 16/17 yet, I didn't think this was possible until after the end of the tax year. I use FreeAgent to do mine anyway so I need to wait for them to update their software.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Wait a minute - I though tax wasn't supposed to be taxing?

I read about this the other day actually, I don't think it applies to me. I didn't even know you could submit your tax return for 16/17 yet, I didn't think this was possible until after the end of the tax year. I use FreeAgent to do mine anyway so I need to wait for them to update their software.
      The thing is that any tax software which interfaces with HMRC has to replicate the same errors that HMRC has in their code.

So any online submission within the boundaries outlined will generate an incorrect tax charge regardless of the package used.

Apparently HMRC aren't going to fix their code nor notify people who are overcharged due to their coding errors.

So you'll need to work out your tax calculation on paper / spreadsheet before performing the online submission and flag it if numbers don't match.

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/tax/h...e-paper-filing
      Last edited by DeadEyedJacks; 31 March 2017, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
        The thing is that any tax software which interfaces with HMRC has to replicate the same errors that HMRC has in their code.

So any online submission within the boundaries outlined will generate an incorrect tax charge regardless of the package used.
        Sure, I understand that. I meant it shouldn't affect me due to my income circumstances rather than the fact I use FreeAgent (hopefully). What I meant by waiting for FreeAgent to update their software is that they have to updated each year with the new tax calculations and it normally doesn't happen until around May.

The whole thing is a mess though.

Comment

Agreed, will leave it for accountant to figure out in due course.

Just amazing how ridiculously complex its all become thanks to Chancellors endless tinkering.

Comment

They've made the system so bloody complex that they can't even calculate correctly the amount of tax due.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              They've made the system so bloody complex that they can't even calculate correctly the amount of tax due.
              Why not?

HMRC win anyway. They don't have a duty of care to anyone.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Why not? HMRC win anyway. They don't have a duty of care to anyone.
                Undermines trust in system, certainly makes it less attractive to file return earlier rather than later

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Undermines trust in system, certainly makes it less attractive to file return earlier rather than later
                  Must be nice growing up in Russia or a corrupt country thinking the British system should be trusted completely....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X