• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tricky question - accommodation tax relief work abroad.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricky question - accommodation tax relief work abroad.

Hi all
    I am new here and would kindly appreciate some help. I am currently a sole trader. I have been offered a job abroad by a foreign employer for 3 months(probation), it is a short contract and could potentially be made longer. I will be considered an employee of the foreign company.

There are no dual taxation rules for this country.

They are paying me an accommodation allowance but I need to rent the property my self and will be reimbursed. If I return to the UK after the 3 month probation (for example if /kids do not like the role), I will ofcourse be considered UK resident. Can I claim tax relief on accommodation costs ? My 2 children will be with me.

As it is a probation, I plan on continue to pay rent on my UK flat and it is for this reason I would like to know if I can get the tax relief ?

I will also be given travel allowance by the foreign employer , is this tax deductable in the UK.
    My main concern is the accomodation as ofcourse this is the biggest cost.

Thank you for your help. I have foundHMRC literature for UK companies sending people abroad but not my situation - sole trad - foreign employmen t for short period.

Regards.

Working...
X