• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expense queries for Ltd company (no accountant)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, feels like an opinion piece balancing hugely on the side of caution. Which is fair enough, but if I was a permie and my company sent me to a flat I'm not suddenly going to start covering all my own food costs just because there's a cooker.

To be honest, after a second read through, I find the article pretty poor overall.

Generally I advise that you aren’t able to put lunches, drinks and restaurant expenses through the company at your usual client site. HMRC would assume that you would be paying for this sort of expense if you were at work or not and therefore they aren’t wholly and exclusively for business purposes.
    What's this "usual client site" m'larky about?

Comment

Dunno TBH. I always thought it meant you shouldn't put your Tesco shop through when you buy stuff you make yourself I. E. Bread and filling for sarnies. Etc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Dunno TBH. I always thought it meant you shouldn't put your Tesco shop through when you buy stuff you make yourself I. E. Bread and filling for sarnies. Etc.
        It's an interesting one - this is my first contract where I've gone the 'rental' route (It's not really rental as it's an AirBnB job, Mon - Fri only, all inclusive cost, no contract) and have had a kitchen. I'm putting the lot through, frankly, as I would do if I was a permie.

I can't find anything in the rules that demonstrates a difference in the type of sustenance, where it's from or how it's made.

The only thing I do that I wouldn't/couldn't as a permie is claim lunch (I'm ****ed if I'm having packed lunches as a contractor) and the odd coffee - but that's just because MyCo has more generous policies

Comment

But if you are buying food for yourself from the supermarket at home and you are buying food for yourself away then it's going to be difficult to argue that its wholly and exclusively.

Mentions it here as well
          http://www.contractoruk.com/expenses...llowances.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            But if you are buying food for yourself from the supermarket at home and you are buying food for yourself away then it's going to be difficult to argue that its wholly and exclusively.
            Why? Does that mean if I eat out every Wednesday at home then I can't claim when I eat out on a Wednesday while away? Or if I normally skip lunch, that means I can't claim?

I'm not trying to be combative, but I've just searched (again) and while I can find a single mention on an accountancy website that says you can't claim "ingredients" (Do ready meals count?) I can't find any actual technical guidance or citations for any of this.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 May 2018, 16:45.

Comment

Up to you. I wouldn't claim ingredients. It's the same cost as if I were at home
              I have to eat to live so not a business expense to me but that's my opinion. Fill your boots if you want to.

If they start looking through my receipts they might find all ones for the coke and hookers I entertain myself with to pass the long lonely hours.

Get confirmation it's OK from your accountant in a mail and store it as evidence and your golden.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 28 March 2017, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Do what? I've never heard of this.
                I posted links to HMRC booklets about employee expenses which also includes director expenses. Somewhere in those booklets it says the same as what NLUK just quoted.

In short if you can make a meal in your rented or hotel accommodation you cannot claim other food expenses except a meal if you are traveling.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 29 March 2017, 00:15.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Terrible article. If you're at a temporary workplace then any meals purchased whilst travelling or while on site are claimable.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Terrible article. If you're at a temporary workplace then any meals purchased whilst travelling or while on site are claimable.
                    are you counting "travelling" as anything between your permanent workplace (home) and the temporary workplace (client site)

i.e. you could live somewhere in the middle (rented flat), completely tax free for all meals and travel, for up to 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      He's not talking about meals. He's talking about ingredients.

Comment

Working...
                      X