• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasonable turnaround time for year end accounts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people request that their accounts are done so soon after year end? Would it not be better to do late on and leave the CT in a higher interest account for as long as possible?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My previous accountant was 3 months, leaving it up to the wire to get them signed off. And that's why they are my previous accountant.
      Current accountant was 3 weeks, part delayed on my side.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Do people request that their accounts are done so soon after year end? Would it not be better to do late on and leave the CT in a higher interest account for as long as possible?
        But you can do the accounts asap after year end and pay CT nearer the time it is due, no ?

Comment

So 2 months of waiting to then be told another 3 - 4 weeks is a bit poor then. Not that I can do anything as I've left anyway, but they've done nothing to ever make me question that decision.

Comment

Being honest it's not rare that we take longer than 4 weeks to do accounts. If someone's in a rush for whatever reason, then we can turn them around quicker. Also, certain times of the year it will be much quicker regardless.

However the reality for most firms is that drafting accounts/CT returns is one of the least urgent things. Responding to client queries is number one priority. Keeping on top of regular filings (ie things like payroll/VAT) along with advising clients on upcoming things comes next. You should know broadly what your CT liability will be long before we give you the CT return.

If you want them finalised quickly perhaps for a mortgage/similar, by all means we can rush them through...but otherwise, you've got 9 months, with no real benefit in them being done early. I'm certainly not saying that's a good reason to leave it until the last minute, far from it, but it's rare there's any harm from accounts/CT taking a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              I know you were joking. But how many people drift through and would take you at your word? The majority of people, I suspect.
              Do any of those people know you? If not, who cares?

If we can't have freedom to be rude and insulting in our jokes, with some of the targets we have around here, well, life isn't worthy living.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Do any of those people know you? If not, who cares?

If we can't have freedom to be rude and insulting in our jokes, with some of the targets we have around here, well, life isn't worthy living.
                Quite possibly nobody other than me. Please make as many jokes and take the pi55 out of me as much as you like in the General Forum eh? That way we're all happy and content.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yeah, it's actually NLUK I like to take occasional mild shots at. But he's got a sense of humour. Whatever.

Comment

Blimey. Wish I hadn't said anything now :|
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      But you can do the accounts asap after year end and pay CT nearer the time it is due, no ?
                      Yep.

As I do that.

You just need to ensure you don't do your payment right at the end of the month so it goes through in time.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X