• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right to substitution vs. Bum-on-seat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Do you really understand why IR35 exists in its current form and why it won't be repealed?
    Of course.

But it's very difficult to enforce and very few successful prosecutions.

What I'm saying is that it's not their main forma of attach any more. When I started contracting 9 years ago it was, PCG was rampant. Nowadays they are hitting contractors in their pockets, which is far more effective. Far fewer contractors will mean that IR35 is pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
      Of course.

But it's very difficult to enforce and very few successful prosecutions.

What I'm saying is that it's not their main forma of attach any more. When I started contracting 9 years ago it was, PCG was rampant. Nowadays they are hitting contractors in their pockets, which is far more effective. Far fewer contractors will mean that IR35 is pointless.
      No, that's not the reason. This attack is being driven by a political agenda not IR35 enforcement.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        No, that's not the reason. This attack is being driven by a political agenda not IR35 enforcement.
        And which is more successful ?

9 years of insanely complicated legislation ?

Or a direct cash grab ?

It doesn't matter what motivates it the end result will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
          It strikes me that as freelancers, we do a lot to avoid being classed as a bum-on-seat resource - instead bringing expertise and special skills not present (to one degree or another) at the end client.
          I guess it depends on what you mean to be a bum on seat resource. An interim manager, for example, brought in for their expertise and special skills not present at the end client is the perfect definition of being a bum on seat resource - the two are not mutually exclusive.

What's the difference between BoS, interim, and single serial client contractor? Nothing as far as I can see - yet some people will look down their nose at some terms and think "well that doesn't apply to me" when it really does.
          First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

I agree. Whilst I do have an unfettered RoS clause in my contracts and if I really needed to use it, I would, I'm well aware that having to use it would probably not make my clients happy. I'm far more likely to sub-contract work than outright substitute myself. As you say, I'm not a bum on seat, I offer specific expertise to my clients and they have engaged MyCo because they want *me*.

I've always viewed MOO and D&C as far more important factors when it comes to IR35 and being perceived as a proper business.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              I've always viewed MOO and D&C as far more important factors when it comes to IR35 and being perceived as a proper business.
              I agree - but the weighting towards RoS in the new PS IR35 tool (say your client will accept a sub that you pay and it's an immediate "outside" result without even asking about MOO or D&C) says to me that HMRC think differently. And we may not agree but that rarely matters.

Comment

I agree - but the weighting towards RoS in the new PS IR35 tool (say your client will accept a sub that you pay and it's an immediate "outside" result without even asking about MOO or D&C) says to me that HMRC think differently. And we may not agree but that rarely matters.
                Not that strange. An unfettered RoS that the client will honour is a sure fire outside IR35 condition: it was one of the key elements of the original RMC decision.

The confusion comes because various clients, when challenged, have said they wouldn't actually honour such clauses (including one in court, so ignoring the basics of contract law...) so some have seen that to diminish its importance. If it's the client saying it, then it must be true.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                  I don't think IR35 will exist.

I don't think contracting will exist as it does now if there is much less advantage - I think the government has always wanted all contractors to move into perm positions. That's what it will drive towards and implement.
                  I think IR35 can be easily scrapped. Just make the dividend tax the same rate as national insurance. Scrap IR35. Job done.

Comment

Perhaps because it's more clear cut. You either have a reasonably unfettered right of substitution, or you don't. If you've actually used your RoS then it's even more clear cut.

D&S is far more open to interpretation, there are different degrees of D&S and the whole thing is more subjective.

Comment

We had this very conversation in the pub last night - if I go out of my way to hire the best builder to work on my house, I'm not going to be happy if his wifes brother rolls up. Even in the 'real' consulting world (I.e., firms with multiple staff) there's a lot of politics about switching people out randomly. I had a customer kick and scream when it was rumored I was going to be taken off the account - formal complaint made and everything, so I ended up staying with them. Does that mean the multi million pound firm was under IR35...

But, 1) We're preaching to the choir 2) HMRC/Politicians don't give a tulip - they don't care about defining us in reality because that's not the end game

I can hand on heart say that I operate in exactly the same way as a one man consultancy as I did as a member of a larger consultancy. My expenses are similar (Except lunch, I do take that one as a contracting perk), the way I operate with customers is similar and the way I live is similar. Except because there's no one else creaming profit for my work I'm now in the cross-hairs.*

*Sort of, because I genuinely believe I'm outside and always have been - but that's besides the point because HMRC would cream themselves at the chance to get us all inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X