• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quickbooks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks

Has anyone successfully used Quickbooks?

I was using Crunch who I thought were really good 5 years ago. Their customer service has, I think, become unbearable, so I've canned them. I tried Quickbooks but I just don't get it. I can't see how it does anything that I can't do on a simple spreadsheet. There's no facility to see corporation tax or dividends etc.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a complete waste of time.

Quite a few threads on it if you copy the text below in to Google. . Some are getting a bit old so not sure how relevant they are. Freeagent appears to be the tool of choice at the moment but I have never used QB so dunno how they compare sorry.

quickbooks site:forums.contractoruk.com
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You may have noticed that FreeAgent is really gaining traction here. It is quickly becoming the default option unless you have serious reasons not to use it. It deserves very serious consideration and the free trial is excellent, fully functioning software.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

+1 on FreeAgent too!

The software from a contractors point of view is great!

And it's also a great tool for accountants to use alongside, to help provide advice.

Plus, it makes it easier to switch accountants too if you need to at a later date, as it's simple to switch across the subscription. And you'll find some accountants include the cost of this for you as part of their fee package.

We're all ears!

Comment

Freeagent

+1 for Freeagent, couldn't agree more.

Have tended to steer clear of Quickbooks, not the best tool out there.

Freeagent is clearly the number 1 for contractors/freelancers but if looking to grow beyond this then could be worthwhile discussing other options with your accountant when appropriate.

Comment

I use QuickBooks, only because that is part of my accountants package. Easy to use, syncs with bank account, has rules to auto assign credits / debits etc. Has plenty of reports etc. Don't get bothered by my accountant really about explanations for things. Seems easy to use for me, but i haven't used anything else as I moved to this from spreadsheets.

Comment

I used Quickbooks when I ran a previous business (which wasn't contracting), so it was a useful alternative to Sage for me. Something like Freeagent wouldn't have been appropriate there.

However as a contractor selling mostly me rather than lots of different goods and services, I wouldn't be touching Quickbooks. Freeagent is perfect and it'll be muchly cheaper if you get it as part of your accountants package (they get discounts) rather than buying an accountant and a Freeagent subscription separately.

Most accounting packages for contractor businesses are massively overkill.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Used QuickBooks Successfully

Yes, I have used the QuickBooks very successfully as it can accomplish many complex tasks like generating accurate reports & statistics, clients management issues, mobile integration, etc.

* By using Excel, you might make formula error, but QuickBooks handles the mathematical backend and ensuring accurate reporting.

* QuickBooks makes it easy to send statements or invoices to customers.

*QuickBooks has many built-in reports for different industry like retail, wholesale and manufacturing, professional services, and contractors.

*QuickBooks makes it easy to do the tax paperwork rather than having to do it by hand and code up a spreadsheet.

There are many more benefits of using QuickBooks over excel but once need proper attention to study the complete features of QuickBooks Software.

To grab more knowledge about QuickBooks, you can check this blog consisting of best places to learn about QuickBooks.
                <mod snip>

Comment

QB

Sounds like a Quickbooks sales call!!

Wouldn't go anywhere near QB, with Freeagent being spot on for contractors and Xero being more appropriate for more traditional businesses. Xero is better than QB by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom at Fox Bartfield View Post
                    Sounds like a Quickbooks sales call!!
                    Which it was so the poster got banned
                    Wouldn't go anywhere near QB, with Freeagent being spot on for contractors and Xero being more appropriate for more traditional businesses. Xero is better than QB by far.
                    Sounds like a Xero sales call!! Get the ban hammer out.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X