• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

making personal and company pension contributions into the same pension pot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making personal and company pension contributions into the same pension pot

I have an existing stakeholder pension with Aviva, which I am pretty happy with (0.45% charge, so not bad, but will be looking to switch to fixed fee in future).

I've made a small contribution (approx 1k) this year from my personal account (for rebalancing purposes) but now I want to make a contribution from my company into the same pension pot.

My accountant seems to think I will need to set up a separate company scheme, Aviva seem to think I won't need to (but I worry that they may not fully understand the nature of IT contractor Ltd companies)

Who's right? Does anyone else here make contributions from both their personal account and company account into the same pension?

It is possible for you to make personal contributions and your employers to also make contributions into the same personal pension. Many pension providers allow for this.

Comment

There is no need to set up a separate scheme - your company's contributions will count as employer contributions.

You will need to be aware of annual limits and, if you don't have any unused allowance from previous years would need to limit your total contributions (from all sources) to £40,000.

Comment

many thanks for all the advice - I double checked with Aviva and then spoke to my accountant - I think she was just being super cautious.

Comment

Working...
        X