• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency changing payment terms mid-contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The main thing everyone has forgot to add is the OP needs to invoice the agency as per his contract to show the new terms are not accepted at the same time as doing the investigations.

Then if the agency makes a fuss about the invoice or doesn't pay on time, then you need to walk out.
    This +1
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

OK, thank you all for providing tips on how to deal with it. It's very appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ECommerceConsultant View Post
        OK, thank you all for providing tips on how to deal with it. It's very appreciated.
        Oh and when I said walk away I mean it.

I've downed tools on two contracts due to payment term issues.

One we sorted the issue out, while the other I walked away from.

Funnily enough due to walking away from the second contract I was then free to get a contract that lead me to get in demand skills.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well, they've phoned me back today, and said it was all a big misunderstanding. The recruitment consultant said that he'd been told it was changing to monthly by the directors, and he just passed on the information.
          I explained that they would be in breach of contract (I double checked my contract and it clearly states weekly), and he said, "oh if you can't live with monthly, then we'll make an exception for you"...I replied by saying, "you have a contractual obligation to pay me weekly, so it's not "making an exception"".
          He also said there are cash flow issues with the start up and they requested to change it to monthly, because they are stretched financially.
          Just as I suspected.

Anyway, long story short, it will remain weekly.

Comment

Well, they've phoned me back today, and said it was all a big misunderstanding. The recruitment consultant said that he'd been told it was changing to monthly by the directors, and he just passed on the information.
            I explained that they would be in breach of contract (I double checked my contract and it clearly states weekly), and he said, "oh if you can't live with monthly, then we'll make an exception for you"...I replied by saying, "you have a contractual obligation to pay me weekly, so it's not "making an exception"".
            He also said there are cash flow issues with the start up and they requested to change it to monthly, because they are stretched financially.
            Just as I suspected.

They probably read this thread and worked out who you maybe.

It does happen.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just as I suspected.

Thanks for the update; at least getting paid weekly will leave you exposed to two weeks at most.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Slightly different in my case, I've agreed to two weekly invoicing, and usually get paid the Friday after the invoice goes in. But it's been missed once, and I wasn't at work the next Monday. I checked everything to make sure I wasn't in breach of contract, I warned everyone that I wouldn't be at work (told them I didn't have the funds to get there) and the site was closed for a day. I don't know how they explained it to the client but it has to be black and white for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                  Slightly different in my case, I've agreed to two weekly invoicing, and usually get paid the Friday after the invoice goes in. But it's been missed once, and I wasn't at work the next Monday. I checked everything to make sure I wasn't in breach of contract, I warned everyone that I wouldn't be at work (told them I didn't have the funds to get there) and the site was closed for a day. I don't know how they explained it to the client but it has to be black and white for me.
                  You've got to be kidding right?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

cutting off your nose to spite your face much?

Comment

Sock it to 'em
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X