• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses while working nomadically

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses while working nomadically

Hello All
    I'd appreciate anyone's knowledge of this, if you are familiar with accounting and HMRC rules.

I was working from home, 37h per week on software projects. The only change I have is that I am now travelling (also connecting with various eCommerce and entrepreneurs) it is really broadening my business horizons. I'm doing this while in Thailand, so I work my usual 37h, from either hotel wifi or a cafe, and then I have my evenings and weekends to enjoy being somewhere warm.

My question is, can I claim any of the costs?
    Flights?
    Ferry?
    Subsistence?
    Hotels?
    Skype phone number and calls? (business calls)

One idea I had, was to just put down 50% of it all. Although would be nice to put down 100% of that. Obviously I won't be putting down my bungie jump and snorkelling :-)

Thanks, Richy

We answer these questions randomly. In short you can't claim as you decided to go on holiday.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      We answer these questions randomly. In short you can't claim as you decided to go on holiday.
      Way more polite than I'd have been.

Comment

You could probably get away with expensing Skype calls that are for business.

Everything else is wishful thinking.

Comment

Your nomadic lifestyle is your choice and not directly driven by business. Can't claim anything unless it's directly related to business. So very little.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Your nomadic lifestyle is your choice and not directly driven by business. Can't claim anything unless it's directly related to business. So very little.
            Indeed. Stuff you need to let you work while travelling should be fine but that is basically Skype and maybe mobile dongle internet if you want to work from a remote beach.

Still sounds like a great thing to do if your work and situation allows it.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Still sounds like a great thing to do if your work and situation allows it.
              Totally. No argument there.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You should be claiming anything that YOU consider is an expense, and HMRC has no idea whether you're in Thailand for work or pleasure but if it corresponds with invoiced work :-)

Comment

If you've a client in Thailand, then go to Thailand. But it must be entirely for business (or look like it). HMRC usually don't allow partial-use claims, IIRC.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You need to get diagnosed with some condition that means you can only work in a warm, sunny climate.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X