• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses while working nomadically

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    You could probably get away with expensing Skype calls that are for business.

Everything else is wishful thinking.
    And possibly wifi access if it's necessary to enable OP to do their job.

But yes, everything else related to the trip, especially travel, subsistence and accommodation are not wholly, exclusively and necessarily for business purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      You need to get diagnosed with some condition that means you can only work in a warm, sunny climate.
      Like Temperate phobia - the fear of temperate climates

Comment

Nomadic expenses

Hi All, thank you for all the replies.

Yes, I am keen to only expense genuine "wholly and necessarily incurred expenses"
        You're right, it's a great experience, working from beaches and such in Koh Tao, Koh Phangnan

The two weeks in Chiang Mai was basically connecting with other eCommerce people (it's a city full of digital nomads), I was looking into setting up a drop ship business, in addition to partnering with some of those guys to develop out one of my businesses. So I imagine because I had plenty of specific business meetings that would be possible, but the other weeks on islands working from hotel wouldn't qualify.

The amounts are all quite small for accom etc, so it's probably not even worth bothering to write them up.

Thank you again for the replies!
        Rich

Comment

Just claim for everything that is solely business related, and you should be fine. that might include travel if you are based in one place but need to go to a meeting or conference elsewhere.

This is always a big problem for travel bloggers, as HRMC takes a dim view on dual usage/purpose when it comes to holiday type activities.

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
            I'm doing this while in Thailand
            Do you like it there? Could you stay for a long time?
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
              Hi All, thank you for all the replies.

Yes, I am keen to only expense genuine "wholly and necessarily incurred expenses"
              You're right, it's a great experience, working from beaches and such in Koh Tao, Koh Phangnan

The two weeks in Chiang Mai was basically connecting with other eCommerce people (it's a city full of digital nomads), I was looking into setting up a drop ship business, in addition to partnering with some of those guys to develop out one of my businesses. So I imagine because I had plenty of specific business meetings that would be possible, but the other weeks on islands working from hotel wouldn't qualify.

The amounts are all quite small for accom etc, so it's probably not even worth bothering to write them up.

Thank you again for the replies!
              Rich
              Have you considered contacting UKTI?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Have you considered contacting UKTI?
                Re UKTI good idea! It is called DIT now great.gov.uk

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  Do you like it there? Could you stay for a long time?
                  Yes, it is great, awesome, other entrepreneurs I have met have been here for 90 days at a time. Some for 2 years or more.
                  Heard of Dynamite Circle? I just relocated to Saigon, it's also a tech startup city with lots of expats working here.
                  Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X