• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC payments when not charging VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC payments when not charging VAT

Hey all, working on a contract in Scandinavia at the moment, and I checked with several other contractors from the UK, they are from different agencies and all were told the same thing, there we do not charge the VAT when we invoice, apparently the agencies charge for VAT on our behalf and we don't need to worry about it lol ... which means we make a loss on the flat rate.

Anyway, how does the VAT submission for HMRC works when one is not charging VAT?

NLUK: I know what your answer will be but I assure you I went through that route already but forgot the answer

Obviously difficult to give an answer on such little detail, but this might help you:-

Contractors' Questions: Do I have to pay my agent's VAT? :: Contractor UK
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Obviously difficult to give an answer on such little detail, but this might help you:-

Contractors' Questions: Do I have to pay my agent's VAT? :: Contractor UK
      Thanks for that, however that link is not related, my agent is in Scandinavia as well as the end client. But its true I was told to quote my VAT number but add 0 VAT.
      My question is not due to dispute of payment... am just asking how is this handled when I submit my quarterly VAT submission to the HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        Thanks for that, however that link is not related, my agent is in Scandinavia as well as the end client. But its true I was told to quote my VAT number but add 0 VAT.
        My question is not due to dispute of payment... am just asking how is this handled when I submit my quarterly VAT submission to the HMRC.
        Thank you

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...mpany-vat.html
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Supply is outside the scope of UK VAT and doesn't go on your VAT return if you're on the FRS so you won't be losing anything. It's not a zero rated supply, you just don't add VAT. You should also mention on the invoice about the reverse charge applying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Supply is outside the scope of UK VAT and doesn't go on your VAT return if you're on the FRS so you won't be losing anything. It's not a zero rated supply, you just don't add VAT. You should also mention on the invoice about the reverse charge applying.
            I actually linked to one of your posts
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
              Hey all, working on a contract in Scandinavia at the moment, and I checked with several other contractors from the UK, they are from different agencies and all were told the same thing, there we do not charge the VAT when we invoice, apparently the agencies charge for VAT on our behalf and we don't need to worry about it lol ... which means we make a loss on the flat rate.

Anyway, how does the VAT submission for HMRC works when one is not charging VAT?

NLUK: I know what your answer will be but I assure you I went through that route already but forgot the answer
              I have done work for a few UK universities who are VAT excluded in the UK.

So invoice without VAT but yes you pay FRS VAT on the full turnover.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
              X