• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions - managed vs unmanaged

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a fair bit of debate re Passive Versus Active Funds
    1.9% is steep!

Like many people here I am using a couple of the Vanguard funds charging .22-.24%

Spend an hour or three reading this blog for a obviously passively biased view.

Monevator — Make more money, invest profitably, retire early

Then discuss with your IFA
    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

St James Place fund fees are apparently not transparent, and may include ongoing fees to advisers, thus the lower performance when compared to other providers:

Crack the code of advisers’ fees - Financial Advice Now! All things IFA

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
        St James Place fund fees are apparently not transparent, and may include ongoing fees to advisers, thus the lower performance when compared to other providers:

Crack the code of advisers’ fees - Financial Advice Now! All things IFA
        I can't find the link but a few weeks back the Sunday Times had a front page (think it was the business section) attack on St James Place's business methods..

Run and keep running was the advice, oh and any independent FSA offering their schemes is anything but independent....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I can't find the link but a few weeks back the Sunday Times had a front page (think it was the business section) attack on St James Place's business methods..

Run and keep running was the advice, oh and any independent FSA offering their schemes is anything but independent....
          ‘Rip-off’ fees of top 10 pension fund provider | Money | The Times & The Sunday Times

"This article is the subject of a legal complaint from St James’s Place"

but it was re-reported here:

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/sun...-over-charges/

They don't seem to get a good press regarding fees:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...s+place+fees&*
          Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 11 March 2017, 09:34.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
            ‘Rip-off’ fees of top 10 pension fund provider | Money | The Times & The Sunday Times

"This article is the subject of a legal complaint from St James’s Place"

but it was re-reported here:

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/sun...-over-charges/

They don't seem to get a good press regarding fees:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...s+place+fees&*
            Yes - their sort is highly litigious.

One the schemes went after CUK in 2013 for putting their names forward in the same breath as EBT schemes (a previous incarnation was an EBT).

Their trajectory was identical to every other EBT scheme, however...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I like passive global tracker funds. It's comforting that I'm not heavily exposed to one particular sector or region, although looking at how much the stock market has risen over the past 5 years, I can see a fall fairly soon.

But I know absolutely zero about trading so I might be wrong. It's more me looking at the historical graphs and thinking "hmm that seems too good to be true".

Comment

I have had a SIPP for 10+ years, I've changed my mind a few times along the way about "investment policy", but I'm also gravitating towards the "single global tracker"; partly inspired by recent posts on Monevator. Every time you change your mind, of course, you infer a few extra costs in dealing fees and or/pension transfer fees. I guess the investment side of it has been something of a "hobby" at times over the years.

If I were "starting again", I might not even bother with the SIPP, I'd be looking at Cavendish Online for the lowest-cost _personal_ pension I could find - which might of course turn out to be a SIPP - and plugging away with the contributions for a couple of decades.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                  looking at how much the stock market has risen over the past 5 years, I can see a fall fairly soon.
                  Most of the recent rise is to do with the decline in the pound and the companies essentially being global

Comment

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                    I have had a SIPP for 10+ years, I've changed my mind a few times along the way about "investment policy", but I'm also gravitating towards the "single global tracker"; partly inspired by recent posts on Monevator. Every time you change your mind, of course, you infer a few extra costs in dealing fees and or/pension transfer fees. I guess the investment side of it has been something of a "hobby" at times over the years.

If I were "starting again", I might not even bother with the SIPP, I'd be looking at Cavendish Online for the lowest-cost _personal_ pension I could find - which might of course turn out to be a SIPP - and plugging away with the contributions for a couple of decades.
                    Sure, I think the two best options now for contractor pensions are SIPPs with Cavendish (for a % fee, but almost half that of HL) and for bigger pots, II (for flat fee SIPP).
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                      I like passive global tracker funds. It's comforting that I'm not heavily exposed to one particular sector or region, although looking at how much the stock market has risen over the past 5 years, I can see a fall fairly soon.

But I know absolutely zero about trading so I might be wrong. It's more me looking at the historical graphs and thinking "hmm that seems too good to be true".
                      It's true. It's the eighth wonder of the world - Compound Interest.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X