• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance - working from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance - working from home

Hi,
    Like many people here I have my own Limited company. I work from the client site, plus my own home. I don't have people visit me at home and I don't have significant infrastructure at home - we're talking a switch, a PC, a couple of laptops and a desktop - the standard home office setup. I have business insurance, but I haven't informed my mortgage company and home insurance company that I work from home - I'm wondering if I should and if I legally need to?

Just wondering if anyone else has spoken to their home insurance company about this and if there are potential legal implications?

Thanks

No.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Get your insurance documents out and read the terms and conditions. Some of them have no issue with you doing computer work at home.

If it doesn't mention this then when your insurance is due for renewal find a home contents insurer who will cover you for this. Or found one now and cancel your old insurance do you are covered.

Oh and don't notify your mortgage company about working from home. Loads of people work from home or run businesses from home with no stock or visitors.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes you should speak to your home insurers. Even if you're only doing computer based work with no visitors, if your Ltd company is registered at your address then they may require business use of the home to be noted on the policy.

My previous insurer, LV, regarded me as running a business, not just working from home and I paid a small increase in premium. My current insurer (Policy Expert) also has clerical business use on my policy as an endorsement but I don't think I paid any more as a result.

Comment

What's a mortgage? INKSPE.
          First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Our house and contents with AA includes business at home.
            I also have Caunce O'Hara all inclusive business policy.

Comment

Working...
            X