• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spring Budget 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CornishYarg View Post
    What options are there - assuming you don't want to become a full time employee? From my limited understanding, we're no better off headquartering in Dublin as we're taxed at the same rate when bringing our earnings back into the country. We could move to another country, but the commuting back to clients would be unattractive.
    Widen your horizons young grasshopper. There's a whole wide world out there just waiting for you.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      the changes announced yesterday will make naff all difference IMHO.
      Personally, I was (and am) more worried about the Autumn Budget. The major changes were always more likely to occur in the Autumn, once Taylor has reported and the PS changes have bedded in; HMT were also playing down the Spring Budget as a time for any major tax or spending decisions. Hate to be mongering doom, but...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Personally, I was (and am) more worried about the Autumn Budget. The major changes were always more likely to occur in the Autumn, once Taylor has reported and the PS changes have bedded in; HMT were also playing down the Spring Budget as a time for any major tax or spending decisions. Hate to be mongering doom, but...
        Its one reason why I went WTF when the NI changes were announced but won't be implemented until April 18. There wasn't even any reason to announce them yesterday just wait for the report to appear and announce them as part of that review...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Its one reason why I went WTF when the NI changes were announced but won't be implemented until April 18. There wasn't even any reason to announce them yesterday just wait for the report to appear and announce them as part of that review...
          Yes, totally cack-handed. I thought it would be an increase in C4 NI plus dividend tax on April 6 or nothing.

Spreadtulip Phil

Comment

That would be too sensible.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Taylor is a big worry if the direction of travel (self employed dodge tax) continues.....

One can only hope IPSE can exert some influence - and I am not being sarcastic

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                Perhaps...but I'd far prefer he rant and rave whilst doing something trivial than say lots of fluffy nice things whilst screwing us.

Public sector IR35 - looking like it'll be devastating, though admittedly more due to uncertainty and risk averse-ness rather than anything else.
                "Dividend tax" last year - a couple of grand extra personal tax for most.
                FRS changes - perhaps a grand or two loss for many.

In comparison the changes announced yesterday are utterly trivial.
                I agree. But then, you and I probably aren't the ones on Twitter raving about an attack on small business.

Yesterday was the first time the sole trader with a moderate income was told by government that he's a problem and a tax avoider, and so has to pay more tax.

Comment

Oh, there's a reason.

If it settles down nicely between now and the Autumn, they got away with it. If it totally blows up in their faces, they can heroically find another solution, roll it back to just 0.5% to replace Class 2, and announce it all in the Autumn. Then, they can announce with great fanfare that "we've listened."

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    Oh, there's a reason.

If it settles down nicely between now and the Autumn, they got away with it. If it totally blows up in their faces, they can heroically find another solution, roll it back to just 0.5% to replace Class 2, and announce it all in the Autumn. Then, they can announce with great fanfare that "we've listened."
                    I think any listening in the Autumn Budget is going to be directed towards the ErNI side of the coin, rather than EeNI. Afterall, that's the major discrepancy now, not the EeNI.

Comment

Originally posted by waitwaitwait View Post
                      I read somewhere they plan on recouping £440m from public sector contractors. I'm just thinking that'll cover some of the money the government has wasted on failed projects?!
                      Or cancel Trident and have bundles left over...

Comment

Working...
                      X