• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unusual billing and VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual billing and VAT

I find myself in quite an unusual position this month, with 2 long term clients, who I do bits and pieces of work for over the years on fixed price work.

The 2 clients need in total 3 large-ish pieces of work done, but want it all billed for by the end of this financial year. 1 bit of of work needs done by end of April, the other 2, they are happy for me to propose dates over the next 6 months to get them done by.

Happy days for me, new work is always good.

Just wondering if for my next VAT submission, it has the potential to raise a flag because of significantly higher numbers than usual (approx double a normal quarter billing)

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Just wondering if for my next VAT submission, it has the potential to raise a flag because of significantly higher numbers than usual (approx double a normal quarter billing)
    I don't see why it would flag anything - if you took six weeks holiday / bench time, you'd be half normal and then the next quarter would be double again. Business fluctuates - as long as you have invoices to back up the VAT return then that's normal.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
      I don't see why it would flag anything - if you took six weeks holiday / bench time, you'd be half normal and then the next quarter would be double again. Business fluctuates - as long as you have invoices to back up the VAT return then that's normal.
      Thanks.

I thought that might be the case, but just wanted to check.

Comment

Why does it matter anyway? I'm sure lots of things raise flags, but if you're operating legitimately then hey ho. My invoice periods are all over the place - from individual days invoiced here and there, to 30 days worth, software sales etc.

Comment

Why aren't you on cash accounting?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            Why aren't you on cash accounting?
            I'm not clear why you are asking this, can you expand please?

the invoices are going to be issued and paid all the within the next few weeks. They are paying in advance, and the actual services will happen over the next 6 months.

Comment

the invoices are going to be issued and paid all the within the next few weeks. They are paying in advance, and the actual services will happen over the next 6 months.
              Happy days indeed.

As others have said, as long as you've got it documented and the bank statements to prove that you've been paid, then all is good (suits you to be paid before April to for the VAT collection boost.)
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If that's the case (that they'll definitely pay it within a few weeks i.e. within the same quarter) - it probably won't matter

On invoice accounting you'd have to pay the 6 months of VAT up front, which might affect your cash flow (it at least would mean you'd take money out of your business savings account) - could cause you problems if they then changed their mind and you had to rescind the invoices

On cash accounting you wait until the invoices are paid to pay the VAT, there's no reason (that I have ever been convinced by) for any contractor turning over less than £1.35m/year not to be on it - which probably covers all of us... except maybe MrMarkyMark

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  If that's the case (that they'll definitely pay it within a few weeks i.e. within the same quarter) - it probably won't matter

On invoice accounting you'd have to pay the 6 months of VAT up front, which might affect your cash flow (it at least would mean you'd take money out of your business savings account) - could cause you problems if they then changed their mind and you had to rescind the invoices

On cash accounting you wait until the invoices are paid to pay the VAT, there's no reason (that I have ever been convinced by) for any contractor turning over less than £1.35m/year not to be on it - which probably covers all of us... except maybe MrMarkyMark
                  It's fairly irrelevant in the context of the discussion.
                  First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                    It's fairly irrelevant in the context of the discussion.
                    agreed

Comment

Working...
                    X