+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,927
    Thanks (Given)
    127
    Thanks (Received)
    1141
    Likes (Given)
    1583
    Likes (Received)
    5420

    Default

    I think you need to understand what PI and El insurance is for and go get IPSE+ membership and understand what comes with that. You could have claimed on that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #12

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,159
    Thanks (Given)
    719
    Thanks (Received)
    707
    Likes (Given)
    4774
    Likes (Received)
    2770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobspud View Post
    Hi, the first thing to sort out is the fact that if you are in a head of position then you are caught inside IR35 by an amendment a few years back. However, if you are now no longer managing people you may not be in that position and need a new contract.

    Second point where did the other chap come from? does he actually have the authority to make the change? Personally if you are the head of the department it should be possible for you to find something real tulip for them to waist a year of their lives not accomplishing...
    Absolutely this.

  3. #13

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    24,721
    Thanks (Given)
    886
    Thanks (Received)
    853
    Likes (Given)
    4004
    Likes (Received)
    3450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobspud View Post
    Hi, the first thing to sort out is the fact that if you are in a head of position then you are caught inside IR35 by an amendment a few years back. However, if you are now no longer managing people you may not be in that position and need a new contract.

    Second point where did the other chap come from? does he actually have the authority to make the change? Personally if you are the head of the department it should be possible for you to find something real tulip for them to waist a year of their lives not accomplishing...
    Oddly loads of people in the PS particularly the NHS are also not aware of this.

    In short as a contractor you don't want to be a manager of people.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  4. #14

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Floating in a sea of hyperbole
    Posts
    414
    Thanks (Given)
    46
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Given)
    160
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    If it was a rate cut too I'd be out of there.
    If it was a decent rate for a more junior position then Id stay and look for something else.
    No you wouldn't. You'd post repeatedly on here about how all clients take the piss and treat contractors badly, how exploited we all are because all clients do this. And then you'd stay there until the client bins you off at the end of the contract.

    The only surprise in this is that NLUK hasn't already posted something similar to me yet
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

  5. #15

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,927
    Thanks (Given)
    127
    Thanks (Received)
    1141
    Likes (Given)
    1583
    Likes (Received)
    5420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBW View Post
    No you wouldn't. You'd post repeatedly on here about how all clients take the piss and treat contractors badly, how exploited we all are because all clients do this. And then you'd stay there until the client bins you off at the end of the contract.

    The only surprise in this is that NLUK hasn't already posted something similar to me yet
    I wouldn't have put it quite as succinctly as that

    Trying not to post too much today. Got a grump on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #16

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,043
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    88
    Likes (Given)
    649
    Likes (Received)
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I wouldn't have put it quite as succinctly as that

    Trying not to post too much today. Got a grump on.
    Just the 500 posts today then

  7. #17

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Given)
    263
    Likes (Received)
    295

    Default

    Sounds like a tulip show waiting to happen (which admittedly can often be good for contractors!)

    How it happened is irrelevant now. Sounds like the employee has moaned to the Director "I can do that role, it shouldn't be done by a contractor" or whatever, and the Director has agreed.

    It hasn't been very professionally handled, but it is what it is, there is nothing you can do.

    You either accept, or are terminated. You are a business now, not an employee.

    How you handle it now is up to you. Try and kick up a stink, and they will terminate your contract.

  8. #18

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,672
    Thanks (Given)
    332
    Thanks (Received)
    584
    Likes (Given)
    2208
    Likes (Received)
    2625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I wouldn't have put it quite as succinctly as that

    Trying not to post too much today. Got a grump on.
    Not another bus lane fine?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  9. #19

    Fingers like lightning

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    779
    Thanks (Given)
    9
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oddly loads of people in the PS particularly the NHS are also not aware of this.

    In short as a contractor you don't want to be a manager of people.
    It's a good point but 'head of' doesn't necessarily mean 'manger of people'.

  10. #20

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks (Given)
    13
    Thanks (Received)
    75
    Likes (Given)
    337
    Likes (Received)
    513

    Default

    Jump! Jump!

    You're not going to win here - so best to calmly make your exit on your terms.

    "It appears there has been some confusion surrounding what I've been hired to do, and at what level. I recommend that you seek a contractor better suited to your requirements."

    No need to be nasty or pissy - but, at the end of the day, the role is not what was sold AND (Crucially, because the first bit is often workable) you're now embroiled in some pretty horrendous politics. Get out, get out now before you're stitched up.

    I'm in a role where it turns out I'm technically junior to someone, but a) I negotiated an above market rate and b) On the first day the senior chap said "Really glad to get someone so experienced - I'd like you to look at $x as you seem to have a lot of knowledge there and I'm a bit stuck". Instant good signs.
    Last edited by vwdan; 1st March 2017 at 10:56.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.