• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    I totally take your point, however, I've just trawled through VAT Notice 733 and there is no mention of hotels or accommodation at all (apart from rent). I just find it odd as this must be one of the most commonly claimed expenses.
    The wording in VAT notices requires you to use your common sense.

So if you can work out it is a service or capital expenditure then it is excluded.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I've given detailed replies, multiple times, on pretty much every thread on this topic (and so have many others), so how about you do one and use the search function.

If you can't even work out the difference between a good and a service, then perhaps VAT is too complicated for you and you should just come off it and keep your turnover below the threshold.
      You are going to get accused of being rude.

Then be told you wouldn't say that face to face.

However to the poster who asked that question - "Yes he would say it face to face and he would use very rude body language questioning your IQ"

Comment

So far it's clear that capital expenditure, for example, a printer doesn't count, travel and subsidence doesn't, motor expenses doesn't -

but stationary does (as doing more work you print more, send more letters etc) are these no general admin and not cost of sales?

Do hotels? (as doing more work you'd spend more on hotels? or are these Travel and Subsistence CP34 and the category "General administrative expenses" thus not cost of sales?)

Phone bills? (as doing more work you'd make more calls? or are these Admin/office expenses under CP36 and the category "General administrative expenses" thus not cost of sales?)

Buying and re-selling something unrelated to the business? (does it need to be related?)

Comment

For the millionth time, hotels and phone calls are services, not goods.

Comment

For the millionth time, hotels and phone calls are services, not goods.
            You're showing remarkable restraint. Chapeau.

Comment

I've given detailed replies, multiple times, on pretty much every thread on this topic (and so have many others), so how about you do one and use the search function.

If you can't even work out the difference between a good and a service, then perhaps VAT is too complicated for you and you should just come off it and keep your turnover below the threshold.
              Maybe you should wind your neck in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                Maybe you should wind your neck in a bit.
                As I predicted.

Ever heard of the saying - "if you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn"

Hence if you cannot work out what is a good and service then you shouldn't be calculating VAT for yourself and should be talking to your accountant. Even then as your accountant is not your company's financial advisor then perhaps contracting is too complex for you.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 27 March 2017, 09:40.

Comment

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  Don't really understand your point about the company let.
                  What i should have said is residential property rent is exempt from VAT so there's no VAT to reclaim whether you're renting through company or not.

If it's a short term airbnb or serviced apartment type rental, then refer to my initial post.

Comment

It seems like as a fairly safe bet if the answer to "can you hold it in your hand?" is "no" then it's probably a service not a good? That doesn't mean the converse is true but it does provide a first stab at eliminating things.

Maybe a flow-chart would help make this clearer, if there isn't one already. That would be great in a sticky.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      As I predicted.

Every heard of the saying - "if you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn"
                      Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry again later. Teach a man to fish and you do him a good turn. Teach a Spaniard to fish and he'll claim all the fish caught in British waters are his and were caught legally but at least after Brexit we will be able to reclaim our British waters again.
                      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
                      X