• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alloverit View Post
    Has anyone had any advice from their accountants about switching off the VAT FRS midway through a VAT period? Mine is waiting for a response from HMRC.
    My 2 cents - don't do it. Far more trouble than it's worth. Assuming you're currently on FRS and don't want to be from April, change based on the closest VAT quarter end to 31 Mar.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      My 2 cents - don't do it. Far more trouble than it's worth. Assuming you're currently on FRS and don't want to be from April, change based on the closest VAT quarter end to 31 Mar.
      'trouble' for "me" or more work for my accountant?

Comment

I am waiting for Acknowledge a request to come off FRS as of start of current quarter. My book keeping is falling behind waiting for NW to change Vantage over... I think it is about 5 weeks since requested now.

Comment

So buying stuff on eEbay isn't a goer, even if it's significant?

I can make a good 10% profit on apple products, why can't I use my ltd company to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
            I can make a good 10% profit on apple products, why can't I use my ltd company to do that?
            You can. And you'll be a different trade and have to change your FRS VAT rate anyway.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              You can. And you'll be a different trade and have to change your FRS VAT rate anyway.
              Surely I'd just be "other" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Only if it is the dominant part of the business would you need to reclassify.
                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                  Only if it is the dominant part of the business would you need to reclassify.
                  I am "other" anyway so I'd carry on as I am. I have wanted to diversify and have a plan B for some time, this is just making me get off my rear and do it properly.

Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                    I am "other" anyway so I'd carry on as I am. I have wanted to diversify and have a plan B for some time, this is just making me get off my rear and do it properly.

Thanks all
                    The question isn't what rate you're on but what rate you should be on. Why do you think you should be "other"?

(Not saying you shouldn't be, you understand, but I've seen many contractors abusing the system by claiming not to fit in to any category. The Limited Cost Trader rule will certain address this)

Comment

Fair question

I perform PMO services, not project management, not exclusively to any specific industry either. I don't manage projects and I work in IT, Business, Defence and other industries.

My plan B is selling Apple products that I can make 10% on, it's hopefully going to grow as I get bigger discounts for buying bulk.

Comment

Working...
                      X