• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate Scheme Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the FRS

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Ran this past my accountant and he recommended still giving them a ring to confirm they received my letter just in case.
    Hi

You are formally required to write to HMRC to notify them that you are leaving the scheme. They will normally write back to you to confirm your leaving date. If you stop using the scheme in the middle of a VAT period, you will need to split your calculations into two to cover FRS and Standard Scheme, the figures are added together for your vat return.

Also, if you used the cash-based turnover method when under the Flat Rate Scheme, you will need to switch to invoice basis on your final Flat Rate Scheme VAT return and include all your supplies invoiced where the payment is not yet received, unless you switch to the cash accounting immediately after you leave the flat rate scheme (cash accounting is separate from the Flat Rate cash based method used for your vat calculations specifically).

In addition, if you receive payments before 1 April 2017 that relates to services after this date, you will need to apportion the sales figures to be included into the relevant VAT return period.

I hope this helps.

Comment

My company's current VAT period ends on 31 March. I'd like to confirm my thinking based on that last few replies: If I email [email protected] on 30 March indicating I'd like to switch the business into the "normal" VAT cash accounting scheme effective 1 April 2017, can I start right away and don't need a reply?

Finally, for services the business provided in March and invoiced on say, 1 April, would they fall under the "normal" (ie non-FRS) scheme? I'd be using cash accounting so I'd assume that's the case.

This article says:

If the business has been using the cash-based accounting method under the FRS, and immediately starts to use ‘normal’ cash accounting, it is permitted on receipt of the money to account for FRS VAT at the rate when the supply was made. So a receipt in April can be accounted for at 12%, even if the business would be an LCT and has gone back to standard accounting (Notice 733 paragraph 9.6). If it does not start to use cash accounting, it has to bring its debtors into account using the appropriate FRS rate on 31 March.
      It says can so does that mean I can just use the "normal scheme" (ie non-FRS) instead to make things simple in my accounting software?

Thanks.

Comment

Not using an accountant?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We actually just had a telephone conversation about it and he recommended the business switches to the "normal" scheme. With the help of my accounting software, I handle my own VAT. I thought I would ask here since their office is closed now and I don't want to be really annoying. Plus, I know this is a hot topic here.

I can call back tomorrow if no one knows.

Thanks.

Comment

Leaving FRS

Originally posted by concord View Post
            My company's current VAT period ends on 31 March. I'd like to confirm my thinking based on that last few replies: If I email [email protected] on 30 March indicating I'd like to switch the business into the "normal" VAT cash accounting scheme effective 1 April 2017, can I start right away and don't need a reply?

Finally, for services the business provided in March and invoiced on say, 1 April, would they fall under the "normal" (ie non-FRS) scheme? I'd be using cash accounting so I'd assume that's the case.

This article says:

It says can so does that mean I can just use the "normal scheme" (ie non-FRS) instead to make things simple in my accounting software?

Thanks.
            Hi,

You can start accounting under the Standard Scheme from 1st April, you don't need to wait to receive the confirmation as long as you keep a proof that you sent your notification of leaving the scheme to HMRC. By the time your VAT return is due for filing you should receive the HMRC' confirmation, if not contact them before you file your return to ensure they have a record for your company's effect e date of leaving the scheme.

The VAT is accounted for in the Vat quarter based on the tax point, this is normally the date of the invoice if issued within 14 days of providing the service or the date you receive your payment if on cash accounting. Therefore, either way the invoice you will raise on 1 April will be under the standard scheme for VAT.

Comment

@Chart Accountancy

Thank you very much for the clear reply!

Comment

I'm getting square-eyed looking through this thread so forgive me if it has been posted but can anyone enlighten me how to switch to the new 16.5% FRS scheme from the previous 14.5% FRS scheme?

Comment

You tell your accountant
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DesDixon View Post
                    I'm getting square-eyed looking through this thread so forgive me if it has been posted but can anyone enlighten me how to switch to the new 16.5% FRS scheme from the previous 14.5% FRS scheme?
                    You simply calculate whether the VAT quarter falls within the new rate and if so use the new 16.5% when it comes to preparing and submitting your VAT return.

If you are on FreeAgent I believe they now have a Limited cost trader category.

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
                      Hi

You are formally required to write to HMRC to notify them that you are leaving the scheme. They will normally write back to you to confirm your leaving date. If you stop using the scheme in the middle of a VAT period, you will need to split your calculations into two to cover FRS and Standard Scheme, the figures are added together for your vat return.

Also, if you used the cash-based turnover method when under the Flat Rate Scheme, you will need to switch to invoice basis on your final Flat Rate Scheme VAT return and include all your supplies invoiced where the payment is not yet received, unless you switch to the cash accounting immediately after you leave the flat rate scheme (cash accounting is separate from the Flat Rate cash based method used for your vat calculations specifically).

In addition, if you receive payments before 1 April 2017 that relates to services after this date, you will need to apportion the sales figures to be included into the relevant VAT return period.

I hope this helps.
                      I may be wrong but as I understood you can't stop using the FRS during a VAT period. But you can have 2 different flat rates within a return. Unfortunately Freeagent hasn't managed to figure out how to add the 2 sets of figures together and those using Freeagent will need to file April and May returns with different flat rates using good old HMRC online.

Comment

Working...
                      X