• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving LTD company to Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving LTD company to Ireland

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully relocated their limited company registered address and base operations to Ireland and continued to trading in the U.K. On a long term overseas contract?

I've heard of people doing and seen people post on this forum about it but cannot seem to get any details on the mechanics of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

C

Originally posted by Crc View Post
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully relocated their limited company registered address and base operations to Ireland and continued to trading in the U.K. On a long term overseas contract?

I've heard of people doing and seen people post on this forum about it but cannot seem to get any details on the mechanics of it.

C
    Not possible, Ireland is a foreign country.

Comment

Northern Ireland or Eire?

Northern Ireland yes as it's part of the UK.

Eire as Stek is a foreign country so no.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hello,

Nobody's yet asked why. You're trying to do this for a tax advantage? IR35?
        I don't think UK agencies will deal with foreign Ltd. Companies.

Comment

Hello

Thank you for the response Stek. I must not have been clear in my original post because based on your response, the inference is that a company registered in Dublin cannot do business in the U.K. - which I would think is incorrect.

Are the posters on this forum who've indicated that moving operations overseas is commonplace simply being disingenuous?

C

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
            I don't think UK agencies will deal with foreign Ltd. Companies.
            Some UK agencies will be based in Northern Ireland so have no issues with cross border workers and I know some Irish agencies work in the UK - so that's not strictly true.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hello,

C
              Not sure what you are aiming at. If you will be contracting remotely for an overseas client while working from the UK, then technically yes you can set up a new Irish Ltd as a subsidiary of your UK Ltd, have it invoice customers and then pay a (for now, tax-free after Irish CT) dividend to your UK company. You will always run the risk that HMRC will at some point realise that the Irish company was managed and controlled from the UK after all, and ask for the balance (at a poor exchange rate) between Irish and UK CT to be paid to them.

While management is in the UK, never use a foreign company to trade with clients in the UK. Never. It will hurt.

Comment

Working...
              X