• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FreeAgent & billing expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeAgent & billing expenses

Question for FA users - I've got to bill some expenses to a client. I see that FA has a "re-bill" option when entering expenses, which you can then add to an invoice with the 'Add Unbilled Expenses' feature. But, the FA support article indicates that each expense is added as a 'one line per expense' invoice item.

My plan was just to add a one line total for expenses, possibly on a separate invoice.

Am confirming with the client how they want expenses billed, but wondered what others typically did ?!
    (Guess this is not specific to FA really, as it's just creating an invoice regardless !)

Why not add it on the invoice as a line item and detail it on a separate sheet?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I just put it as a line item in the invoice. Maybe I should be smarter and link it using the system you mentioned but never bothered. Single line item with the total billed. IMO it's a chargeable item to the client, not an expense claim.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't us FA but from an accounting point of view these are recharges and therefore billable items to client, not expense reclaims.

Typically, an expense reclaim is something that would be made by an individual whereas a company recharges costs incurred on behalf of its client.

This may be a small distinction but an important one.

Comment

I do a line for each item. It's only an extra click or two on entry and it helps me make sure everything is billed. Why bother with an extra spreadsheet, the data is already in the system?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post
            I don't us FA but from an accounting point of view these are recharges and therefore billable items to client, not expense reclaims.

Typically, an expense reclaim is something that would be made by an individual whereas a company recharges costs incurred on behalf of its client.

This may be a small distinction but an important one.
            They are both. An expense reclaim from YourCo which is subsequently recharged to the end customer. They are two distinct things but FreeAgent has a convenient feature that lets you flag out of pocket expenses that you are reclaiming from YourCo as expenses to be recharged to the client and then add them all to your next invoice with a single click.

If OP wants them all on one line they don't need to use this option, they can just manually add a line.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              They are both. An expense reclaim from YourCo which is subsequently recharged to the end customer. They are two distinct things but FreeAgent has a convenient feature that lets you flag out of pocket expenses that you are reclaiming from YourCo as expenses to be recharged to the client and then add them all to your next invoice with a single click.

If OP wants them all on one line they don't need to use this option, they can just manually add a line.
              Yes, thanks all! I'll ignore the FA re-bill feature and just enter a one-liner total on the invoice.

Comment

Working...
              X