• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Pensions for a Limited Company?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really useful and helpful stuff, just wishing I'd read it before having a review with IFA, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Have read fully, and also the links so much appreciated for this stuff. A bit annoyed with myself but I'm thinking not too late to salvage something so wanted a bit of advice if ok. I've already had a review, and if fairness it's been pretty useful with recommendations and makes sense. However the fees are hefty imo, around 4% first year, works out around £4k, then annually 0.5% which is in line with others, and on the face of it given my knowledge seems ok, until you realise how much it will be.

I can back out before Thursday, but will still have to pay just under a £1k for the advice and review, seems harsh but I knew and agreed to it, but I'm thinking do I just go ahead for now, as I'll get the pension transfer, a decent looking fund and then can can the 0.5% once I'm a bit more savvy. Or just pay the £1k, use the info they've gathered and do it myself via II?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by caigab View Post
      Really useful and helpful stuff, just wishing I'd read it before having a review with IFA, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Have read fully, and also the links so much appreciated for this stuff. A bit annoyed with myself but I'm thinking not too late to salvage something so wanted a bit of advice if ok. I've already had a review, and if fairness it's been pretty useful with recommendations and makes sense. However the fees are hefty imo, around 4% first year, works out around £4k, then annually 0.5% which is in line with others, and on the face of it given my knowledge seems ok, until you realise how much it will be.

I can back out before Thursday, but will still have to pay just under a £1k for the advice and review, seems harsh but I knew and agreed to it, but I'm thinking do I just go ahead for now, as I'll get the pension transfer, a decent looking fund and then can can the 0.5% once I'm a bit more savvy. Or just pay the £1k, use the info they've gathered and do it myself via II?

Cheers
      You just gave the answer there in the last line. Write off the GBP 1k as the cost of inexperience. It seems you have around GBP 100k to invest, making II a very good choice of platforms.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        You just gave the answer there in the last line. Write off the GBP 1k as the cost of inexperience. It seems you have around GBP 100k to invest, making II a very good choice of platforms.
        Cheers Fred I suspected as much, appreciate the reply.

Comment

St James's Place accused of misleading clients on costs

This is blatant but expect it to be the same across all active fund providers, why do you think they charge a percentage of the total amount invested ?
          - Note they still want that pound of flesh if the value falls.
          - 2% doesn't sound much ? it does if you are averaging 5% return...

All in, my investment costs are coming out at about 0.6% per annum, I still consider this to be ridiculously high and are a result of legacy investments that I keep but shouldn't. I reckon I can halve that figure easy if I started now.

GLA

Comment

Five reasons why you’ll love index investing

Comment

That's a great site. I stumbled across it a few years ago and hit up some vanguard LS stuff as I'm both lazy and clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                That's a great site. I stumbled across it a few years ago and hit up some vanguard LS stuff as I'm both lazy and clueless.
                Don't be so hard on yourself...... You aren't lazy.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                  Probably the smartest money decision you will ever make...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Probably the smartest money decision you will ever make...
                    Let's hope so.....Early retirement is the goal!

Comment

Just a quick clarifying question as I can't seem to see the answer anywhere -

The SIPP is in your own personal name and the contributions from your own limited company are "Employers Contributions" - correct?

Comment

Working...
                      X