• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crunch Accounting, removing a B Class Shareholder & address change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslins View Post

I guess this is arguably inevitable, as it's the way things have gone with stuff like utilities. Compare the meerkat et al means people only compare price, service ignored.
    There's even one for contractor payroll services now.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
      Maybe we don't hear much about it because people are generally happy with it ;-)

I use Crunch - it's perfectly adequate and cost effective. Had a couple of issues but nothing that made me seriously consider changing.
      If you need a lot of advice then a more active/costly solution may be better however.
      On the contrary. One of the last posts I can remember was that a customer had discovered a significant issue with their accounts. It turned out to be a bug in the portal software. Now, I'm not saying it would be impossible to also happen to a FA user, but given the weight of users of the software now, you'd have to be very unfortunate indeed to the very first person to discover a bug like that. (IMO, of course).
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa@AardvarkAccounting View Post
        If you were to keep the B shares, FreeAgent allows multiple classes on the online system. And prepares the dividend documents as well.

If you do want to remove your wife as a shareholder, this can be done through a simple transfer, which an accountant can help with the paperwork. Then any changes in the year are reported on the confirmation statement.

Have you been snooping around my website? That's my catchphrase - I'm all ears! [emoji3]
        Thanks very much for the advice - appreciated

My current accountant is very unresponsive and I would much prefer to action the changes myself

Do you know exactly which paperwork I'd need to complete?

I tried calling Companies House several times - no one picking up the phone there!

Cheers

Comment

If she holds a B share too, it means even if her circumstances have changed and you now don't want to pay her dividends, then you don't have to, as you could pay all the dividends on the A shares.

Plus, if her circumstances change later, it means she will already have the shares in the company.

And in the meantime, she could still take out £5,000 of dividends per year at 0%
          Ah, see this is interesting..

I really don't want to trigger an investigation, although the company is only a year old and very straightforward. If you're suggesting keeping things as they are, that might be more prudent.

In terms of the dividends, I'd not realised that £5000 was tax free - another reason to keep it the way it is

My affairs are super simple - invoice, basic expenses, etc. I'd need some advice on the most optimal salary / divi mix each year, but i guess my accountant would do that, in conjunction with Free Agent

Thanks everybody who took the time to respond - very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by gypsymoth View Post
            Ah, see this is interesting..

I really don't want to trigger an investigation, although the company is only a year old and very straightforward. If you're suggesting keeping things as they are, that might be more prudent.

In terms of the dividends, I'd not realised that £5000 was tax free - another reason to keep it the way it is

My affairs are super simple - invoice, basic expenses, etc. I'd need some advice on the most optimal salary / divi mix each year, but i guess my accountant would do that, in conjunction with Free Agent

Thanks everybody who took the time to respond - very helpful!
            If you do want to make any changes to the current shares, this would be a share transfer, if it's between husband and wife - done on a stock transfer form. This is an internal business document, it's not filed externally. Any transfers are then reflected on the annual confirmation statement.

However, IMO I'd probably suggest leaving it as it currently is.

Your accountant again should be spending more time hopefully advising you on how to maximize your personal income, plus guiding on your company affairs too. If you're only paying for software and not much hand-holding at this stage, whilst your new to contracting you may want to evaluate this. Once you've become a seasoned pro, then you could consider looking at more DIY/software only, as you'll need to ask generally a lot less questions.
            We're all ears!

Comment

If you do want to make any changes to the current shares, this would be a share transfer, if it's between husband and wife - done on a stock transfer form. This is an internal business document, it's not filed externally. Any transfers are then reflected on the annual confirmation statement.

However, IMO I'd probably suggest leaving it as it currently is.

Your accountant again should be spending more time hopefully advising you on how to maximize your personal income, plus guiding on your company affairs too. If you're only paying for software and not much hand-holding at this stage, whilst your new to contracting you may want to evaluate this. Once you've become a seasoned pro, then you could consider looking at more DIY/software only, as you'll need to ask generally a lot less questions.
              Thanks again

We're engaged, so not yet husband and wife - does that make a difference?

In terms of address change, I guess that's just a simple update at Companies House, HMRC and my bank

Comment

Thanks again

In terms of address change, I guess that's just a simple update at Companies House, HMRC and my bank
                Sadly not quite. I could be wrong but HMRC have a number of places where they hold your address and you have to make sure VAT people have it as well as Tax.. Or something like that. Could be better now though?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm just going to leave before this turns into another settlements discussion...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Sadly not quite. I could be wrong but HMRC have a number of places where they hold your address and you have to make sure VAT people have it as well as Tax.. Or something like that. Could be better now though?
                    Yes, I've tripped up on this. To change the address on your VAT record online you need to be registered for the "Change of VAT registration details" service. If you aren't already, they will helpfully send you an activation PIN...to your old address. So if you've moved already you'll need to print out a change of VAT registration details form and send it by snail mail.

You'll also need to update your company's corporation tax record and possibly employer record if you operate PAYE.

Then you'll need to update your own personal SATR record (which may be on a separate gateway login to your company one).

And don't forget Companies House too...(this can be done online).

Comment

Yes, you do need to be more careful if you are not married. As there could potentially be stamp duty and CGT implications.

As for the address change, that's much easier. It can be done online with CH. Advise HMRC, clients/agencies and any other suppliers too.
                      We're all ears!

Comment

Working...
                      X