• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self employed training allowable for tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b r View Post
    I'll go back to my original comment, and drop this here:

The situation as regards tax relief for training paid for by employers is very different. By and large, any training which makes their employees better able to do their jobs (and this includes very general sorts of training which may not have an immediate impact on their ability to do the work) will be allowable.

https://www.conscious.co.uk/site/lib...eductible.html
    The quoted article fully supports my position, so I don't see your point.

And lets remember, we're not self-employed, but employees.
    Wrong. We're office holders and service providers
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The situation as regards tax relief for training paid for by employers is very different. By and large, any training which makes their employees better able to do their jobs (and this includes very general sorts of training which may not have an immediate impact on their ability to do the work) will be allowable.

Yes, but...

For businesses where the employee receiving the training isn't the owner, those in charge of the biz are only likely to agree to put the person on that course where it is wholly and exclusively for the benefit of the trade.

For businesses where the employee is the owner, the above won't always be the case. Eg you might want to learn to play the guitar/cook/salsa dance (or perhaps less extreme examples). It's got nothing to do with your business, no business benefit, but you might be inclined to try to "blag it" through the business.

Even in my own business, I feel far more comfortable claiming for a staff member going on a certain course, even if it's fairly clearly a "new skill", than I do for myself. I wouldn't pay for the staff member to do it unless it was for the benefit of the business. I might for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Even in my own business, I feel far more comfortable claiming for a staff member going on a certain course, even if it's fairly clearly a "new skill", than I do for myself. I wouldn't pay for the staff member to do it unless it was for the benefit of the business. I might for myself.
        You should ask your accountant what they think
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

But I am self-employed, does that mean I can't make the tax claim?

Comment

Originally posted by gaff View Post
            But I am self-employed, does that mean I can't make the tax claim?
            Are you learning a new skill? If so, then you can't.

Are you updating or re-certifying an existing skill? If so, then you can.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Are you learning a new skill? If so, then you can't.

Are you updating or re-certifying an existing skill? If so, then you can.
              That's about as clear as it can be. So my "tickets" that I need to do my job are claimable. Shame I can't back date it. I thought it was a "you have to have this therefore it's not an expense" situation.

Comment

FaQQer has neatly summed it up IMHO.

Generally the acquisition of new knowledge is not allowable while the updating of existing knowledge is.

Comment

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
                  FaQQer has neatly summed it up IMHO.

Generally the acquisition of new knowledge is not allowable while the updating of existing knowledge is.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                  X