• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bringing forward unused pension contributions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing forward unused pension contributions

This teapot isn't as young as it used to be. There's a few cracks in my glazing, my innards are gunked up with tannins, and my spout occasionally drips embarrassingly.

So I'm looking to chuck as much money as I reasonably can from myCo into my SIPP before Hector decides I can no longer do this.

My understanding is that I can put in 40K a year, and that I can bring forward unused allowance from the previous three years (my SIPP was in place then). So if I put in, say, £60K this year, that would be this year's allowance, and an unused 20K from three years ago.

My question is whether I have to do anything specific to use the unused allowance, or whether I just put in the money and it works itself out.

For NLUK, I have asked my accountants, but they won't offer financial advice.

Good Teapot! They will be able to provide clarity on what allowances you can use though can't they?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Google

Google is your friend, here are a couple to start you off:
      https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/paac
      https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice..../carry-forward

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post

For NLUK, I have asked my accountants, but they won't offer financial advice.
        They must be able to tell you what you can legally do though.

Comment

I asked the same questions myself from my SIPP provider. The answer is, there is nothing formal involved. You document it all yourself then file it away for a rainy day. For example - I took pdfs of my previous years of SIPP holdings and made a spreadsheet referencing the tax years and how much if any contributions I had made. I then showed a calculation each time I wanted to make a > GBP 40k contribution. For a couple of years running I put in GBP 80k and so far Bob is indeed by aunts husband. HTH.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I asked the same questions myself from my SIPP provider. The answer is, there is nothing formal involved. You document it all yourself then file it away for a rainy day. For example - I took pdfs of my previous years of SIPP holdings and made a spreadsheet referencing the tax years and how much if any contributions I had made. I then showed a calculation each time I wanted to make a > GBP 40k contribution. For a couple of years running I put in GBP 80k and so far Bob is indeed by aunts husband. HTH.
            Many thanks. My accountant commented that I could indeed carry forward the allowance, but could not advise on the process. Sounds like there isn't one, so that's nice and easy. I have much the same, so will do it this way. I understand you need to use the whole of 'this year's' allowance before you can use the carry forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
              Google is your friend, here are a couple to start you off:
              https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/paac
              https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice..../carry-forward
              Thanks - I'd seen the PAS site - my question was really around the process - I was unsure if there was a form I needed to fill out, but it sounds like it's all straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Good Teapot! They will be able to provide clarity on what allowances you can use though can't they?
                Originally posted by adubya View Post
                They must be able to tell you what you can legally do though.
                Yes, they confirmed I could do it. But not the 'how' which Fred Bloggs has kindly answered.

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
                  So if I put in, say, £60K this year, that would be this year's allowance, and an unused 20K from three years ago.
                  My understanding is that you use up the most recent years first, so the 20K in the above scenario goes into last year's allowance. Only if that takes the amount over 40K for that year (i.e. if you already had £25K in there), would the extra go into the pot for 2 years back.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    My understanding is that you use up the most recent years first, so the 20K in the above scenario goes into last year's allowance. Only if that takes the amount over 40K for that year (i.e. if you already had £25K in there), would the extra go into the pot for 2 years back.
                    According to the pensions advisory service

"To use carry forward, you must make the maximum allowable contribution in the current tax year (£40,000 in 2016-17) and can then use unused annual allowances from the three previous tax years, starting with the tax year three years ago."

I'll double check with my SIPP provider.

Comment

Working...
                    X