• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheapest Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest Insurance

So where is best for professional indemnity and public liability insurance?

I get mine from QDOS. Can't comment on price comparisons though. Can't imagine the prices are hugely different.
    https://www.qdoscontractor.com/insur...nity-insurance
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

An excellent thread starting by D00hg with a poll on how much here. From 2005 but still should be a good guide

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ou-pay-pi.html

Comment

"Cheapest" is a relative term. The thing to remember that for the same turnover and industry vertical the risk to the insurer is the same. So if you find one that is significantly cheaper than the others, you first have to ask which bit they aren't covering and whether or not that's significant.

For basic IT work it's not that expensive, all things considered, given you have to have it anyway. If you're into safety critical stuff for example, it goes up with a bang.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

+1 for QDOS

Comment

Doesn't make it cheaper but you'll save lots of bunnies and bambi's from gruesome horrible deaths if you use...

www.qdoscontractor.com/code/QCL57133

Comment

Best and cheapest aren't the same thing.

I use Kingsbridge. PM me if you end up using them as I may get a referral fee!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                For basic IT work it's not that expensive, all things considered, given you have to have it anyway. If you're into safety critical stuff for example, it goes up with a bang.
                Yup, one of our clients helps with safety on aeroplanes. We assumed his PI cost was a typo...it wasn't.

If you think the risk is very low and there's an element of it being a "tick box" exercise just to please a client, you can do a compare the market type job. If you think the risk is very real, worth discussing with a proper insurance broker to ensure any insurance you do get actually covers you for the potential issues you could face.

Comment

I
                  Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                  Best and cheapest aren't the same thing.

I use Kingsbridge. PM me if you end up using them as I may get a referral fee!
                  Most insurance policies have an excess.

What you commonly find is cheaper policies have a bigger excess. However for a couple of quid more you could end up with a smaller excess or none at all.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

PI - always stuck with QDOS.
                    PL comes bundled with EL normally (even if you don't need it) and I've found Direct Line to be the cheapest - under £100 and that includes cover for office equipment too.

Edit: this is the exact policy, I doubt you'll find cheaper:

Direct Line Business from Home:
                    Employers liability: £10mil
                    All risks cover, specified items: 1 mobile phone (up to £500), 1 laptop, 1 iPad
                    £50k loss of income (business interruption)
                    £1000 business contents (at home only)
                    Public liability: £2mil

Premium: £83/year.
                    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 10 February 2017, 12:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X