• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email Signature Requirements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Signature Requirements

As far as I'm aware all Ltd companies in the UK are legally required to provide various details in their email signature, including company name, reg number and registered address. (email signature legal requirements in the UK | Computer Spot)

In practice do most contractors follow this? Is there any real risk of not doing so?

The only part I'd like to avoid is providing my registered address, since like many contractors it's also my home address. Now, I fully appreciate that anybody who knows how can find my registered address within 60 seconds, but at the same time - the vast majority of people don't know how as they haven't ever dealt with company reg information, and for good old-fashioned privacy reasons I'd ideally minimise the amount of people who can look up my house on google, find out house price etc.

I know that switching my registered address to my accountant is another option, but AFAIK it's not cheap nor necessarily practical. So I'm wondering if there actually is strong reason to list registered address in standard email sig.
    Last edited by Zylon; 5 February 2017, 19:31.

What I've learnt over the years is most people don't read email signatures.

I have a proper signature on mine, and have been allowed by several clients to use it as my email rather than the one they try and give me.

Also my business email isn't used for sourcing contracts it's only used once I have a contract. So once it looks like a contract is going ahead all the paperwork etc has my business email address on it. Yes this is confusing but it means I've managed not to be plagued by spam on that email address.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
      I know that switching my registered address to my accountant is another option, but AFAIK it's not cheap nor necessarily practical.
      It is cheap and practical. How cheap do you want it to be for a business service that meets all legal criteria? If not your accountant there are services companies that will do this and forward your mail from the registered address to you chosen address.

Comment

My accountant charges £100+VAT. This also stops my home address being publicly available on the Companies House website.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy O View Post
          My accountant charges £100+VAT. This also stops my home address being publicly available on the Companies House website.
          Stops it being available or use theirs? There's a difference.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you a director? Go take a look eh?
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

We don't charge for this but I know of some who do. Our view is there is no real cost to us so charging for it is taking the p!ss.

If a client wants a RO outside our jusridiction (we're in Scotland) then we can point them in the direction of a company that charges just £34 pa for a Manchester address.

Comment

Reg Office

Agree with Alan, we don't charge either provided it's not being used as a trading address and we end up with a volume of mail coming through. Seems like one way of cheesing off a client!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Are you a director? Go take a look eh?
                  You need a Directors Service Address which is a different thing.

But unless you've just started your company, your previous returns with your address on it are still visible. So there may not be a lot of point doing it.

I'd never heard of email signature requirements, though I do have all that on my invoices (which I've always emailed). Sounds like something that few would bother with in reality.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                    we can point them in the direction of a company that charges just £34 pa for a Manchester address.
                    How much do they charge for one which isn't in Manchester?

Comment

Working...
                    X