• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meals - Expenses - Cashless system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice everyone, wasn't sure about the whole cashless implications but you've confirmed my hunch regarding IR35 and being a temporary workplace on-site facility only. Also, to confirm for LondonManc and chopper visitors/service staff also get temporary cashless cards with £4 pre-loaded on them.

Cheers everyone set my mind at ease.
    B.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Don't tell MF whatever you do! He'll have more expenses than his day rate.

I've generally not claimed meals while staying away as I'd be eating anyway. Getting a sandwich from the local sandwich shop near home is no different to getting one from a sandwich shop in London (barring the lack of San Pellegrino in the local sandwich shop).
      So when you're working, you save money... they should tax you on that!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        So when you're working, you save money... they should tax you on that!
        What are you on about?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by astonishingxp View Post
          Hi All

Apologies if this has been answered previously for limited companies but:

My current client operates a cashless system in their office food hall/canteen (i.e. you receive a smart card and top-up the balance manually, minimum £10 top up)

How would you go about claiming lunch expenses given that individual purchases are not recorded anywhere? Receipts are not available.

Can I just claim monthly for the "top-up" amount (i.e. £50 as recorded on my credit card statement) up to the value of the HMRC approved expenses amounts?

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks
          B.
          I thought this wasn't permitted, ie Hector says you would eat lunch anyway and can only expense a meal if staying overnight? Or have I missed something?

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            I thought this wasn't permitted, ie Hector says you would eat lunch anyway and can only expense a meal if staying overnight? Or have I missed something?

qh
            I was assuming that the OP was staying in a hotel - my accountant advised that I couldn't claim for lunches if I had the ability to make them where I was spending the previous night, i.e. home, rented flat, etc.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

qh
              this is what my accountant pointed me to

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim31815

"For example a deduction would be allowed for the cost of a sandwich purchased at a station whilst travelling on business but not for the cost of a sandwich prepared at home and consumed whilst travelling as this is not a cost incurred in the course of the journey."

Comment

Bugger, I was looking to expense my Pret porridge with M&S Chocolate raisins.

qh

Comment

qh
                  You've missed something. All meals necessarily taken in the course of business travel or whilst travelling to and working at a temporary workplace are allowable expenses (associated subsistence). Meals you prepare and take with you are not. No idea where the idea that you can't claim lunch originated from but I suspect it probably stems from umbrellas and scale rates.

The key word is "necessary" however if you're working on-site all day then its necessary to have lunch. If have to leave early and don't have time to have breakfast then the cost of a coffee and a snack on the way to a client might also be necessary. If you have to stay overnight then an evening meal might be necessary. Feeding your £10/day Starbucks habit is probably not necessary.

Just use common sense.
                  Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 1 February 2017, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    You've missed something. All meals necessarily taken in the course of business travel or whilst travelling to and working at a temporary workplace are allowable expenses (associated subsistence). Meals you prepare and take with you are not. No idea where the idea that you can't claim lunch originated from but I suspect it probably stems from umbrellas and scale rates.

The key word is "necessary" however if you're working on-site all day then its necessary to have lunch. If have to leave early and don't have time to have breakfast then the cost of a coffee and a snack on the way to a client might also be necessary. If you have to stay overnight then an evening meal might be necessary. Feeding your £10/day Starbucks habit is probably not necessary.

Just use common sense.
                    Definitely this. I'm up at 6am and out the door for 6.30. Breakfast is usually taken at Grand Central. So that I don't incur Mr J Dredd, I shall speak to my accountant.

qh

Comment

Working...
                    X