• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going into higher rate dividend band

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    One thing to watch is that they won't just ask for the tax you owe, but tax for the next year too. So if you take a lot or you can end up in a tax death spiral. You have to declare extra dividends the next year to pay the tax that you wouldn't owe if you didn't have to declare the dividends to pay the tax in advance.
    By Jan, you should have a good idea what your tax should be for the current tax year (unless you take dividends unexpectedly between Jan-Apr) so you can just reduce your payments on account to whatever you think they should be (it won't be nil anymore but most of us should only be paying a couple of grand in dividend tax if we stay basic rate payers, so half of that).

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
      Don't HMRC pay interest if you have paid more tax than is due?
      I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't get early payment interest on payments on account. But HMRC are kind enough to refund any over-payments.

We're all ears!

Comment

Who pays the dividend tax?

If dividend tax is due on basic and/or higher rate tax, is this treated as a business expense and paid from the business account or, because it is part of your individual self-assessment, payable from my personal bank account?

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

I think you need to understand what you do a little better. Personal tax is a business expense? Really? :|
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saint John View Post
            If dividend tax is due on basic and/or higher rate tax, is this treated as a business expense and paid from the business account or, because it is part of your individual self-assessment, payable from my personal bank account?

Any help is appreciated.
            It is NOT a business expense but if you were accounting for it under PAYE then it could be paid by your LTD as part of the PAYE and NIC's that they collect from you as an employee on behalf of HMRC. But it comes out of your personal gross pay and your LTD can only do this if HMRC have issued a notice of coding that includes it.

Otherwise it will come out of your personal bank account when you do you tax return at the end of the year and settle up anything you owe HMRC.

However, your accountant should be doing this for you if you have taken a payroll and personal tax return service from them. If you are having to ask these questions then you NEED to take those services from a qualified accountant.

HA

Comment

Self Assessment

Originally posted by Saint John View Post

Any help is appreciated.
              A personal tax liability payable on investment income declared on a personal self assessment return should be paid from your personal bank account.

Comment

Working...
              X