• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making Company car lease payments up front

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Company car lease payments up front

I'm toying with the idea of leasing an EV through my limited company as a company car due to the relatively low BIK and it being a way to take money out without paying the revised dividend tax rates. By choice I don't plan to work the entire calendar year which means it's possible that in some quarters I would not have any incoming VAT payments to offset 50% of the VAT on the lease payments.

Other than the obviously poor cash flow is there anything that prevents me from making 6 (or more) month's worth of lease payments in one month so that I can claim back as much VAT as possible? In the extreme could I pay all of the lease costs in one quarter?

What did your accountant advise?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      his accountant is likely to tell him that as he's not a car hire company or a taxi then don't bother reclaiming VAT. That's what mine said.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        his accountant is likely to tell him that as he's not a car hire company or a taxi then don't bother reclaiming VAT. That's what mine said.
        He'd be wrong then. You can claim 50% of the VAT on contract hire / lease payments.

OP: you don't need income to offset. You just reclaim the VAT incurred on your return. £0 in the VAT payable box, £xx in the VAT reclaimable box, £0 - £x in the VAT due box.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
          He'd be wrong then.
          Good job he's getting sacked in the next 2 weeks then.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Good job he's getting sacked in the next 2 weeks then.
            You want a recommendation?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Haven't asked yet - they're v busy as 31 Jan is just around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by arby View Post
                If you've got SLAs with them in your contract gently remind them what they are

Comment

Originally posted by arby View Post
                  Me too. But i can still find the time to @rse about on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                    Me too. But i can still find the time to @rse about on here.
                    My accountant basically states if you aren't a new customer and you haven't given them your self assessment figures by end of September (they actually extend it to October) you can fecking do it yourself.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X