• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying For Non-Official Child Care - Any tricks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying For Non-Official Child Care - Any tricks?

Blatant tax avoidance question incoming!

Looks like my retired father is going to take on a substantial role with our child care later this year and I'll be paying him something close to market rates (As he's going to give up his current part time job).

Is there anything I can do other than draw dividends and pay him, letting him deal with his own tax affairs?

I doubt it, having looked around, but just wondered if anyone had any hints or tips.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Blatant tax avoidance question incoming!

Looks like my retired father is going to take on a substantial role with our child care later this year and I'll be paying him something close to market rates (As he's going to give up his current part time job).

Is there anything I can do other than draw dividends and pay him, letting him deal with his own tax affairs?

I doubt it, having looked around, but just wondered if anyone had any hints or tips.
    https://www.gov.uk/register-childmin...vider/overview

Comment

He's exempt, as he's related. In fact, I'm not sure he CAN register because he's related.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        He's exempt, as he's related. In fact, I'm not sure he CAN register because he's related.
        but if he registers as an ofsted child minder (irrespective of who he intends to care for) then he can probably be paid as such and therefore it could be paid out of childcare vouchers through company (£243/mo)

IANAA/IANAL

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          but if he registers as an ofsted child minder (irrespective of who he intends to care for) then he can probably be paid as such and therefore it could be paid out of childcare vouchers through company (£243/mo)
          Possibly, but probably not.

Qualifying child-care is outlined on this manual page, take note of the last section in particular:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim22030

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Possibly, but probably not.

Qualifying child-care is outlined on this manual page, take note of the last section in particular:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim22030
            so as long as grandad picks them up and takes them to his house (i.e. not OP's house) he's fine?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              so as long as grandad picks them up and takes them to his house (i.e. not OP's house) he's fine?
              I take the final paragraph to mean that all of the bulleted conditions must apply, so no, if Grandad is only providing care to their Grandson and nobody else, it wouldn't qualify.

Comment

Working...
              X