• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UTR problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTR problems

Hi,

I registered Mrs VC for SA back in October but we've not received her UTR. Several calls to HMRC who keep passing the buck and telling us to phone back in a week. Anyone else had similar problems? Expecting to have to file her SA late because of this (my own fault really).

Accountant can't do anything before anyone says anything.

Thanks

VC

Do HMRC hold the correct details for Mrs VC, as this could be going to the wrong address.

They should be able to confirm this to Mrs VC via a phone call and clarify the situation though.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil@Intouch View Post
      Do HMRC hold the correct details for Mrs VC, as this could be going to the wrong address.

They should be able to confirm this to Mrs VC via a phone call and clarify the situation though.
      I believe so. They simply said they're investigating it and someone will call her back, they call back and say it will be done in two weeks. Then she complained and it's now call back in 1 week.

Comment

If she doesn't have a UTR she wouldn't have received a notice to file a tax return yet, so I wouldn't worry about it being "late". I believe you get 3 months from receipt of the notice to file, even if that is later than 31 Jan. If you registered back in October then you shouldn't get a penalty for late notification anyway.

Why did she have to register, did she have untaxed income the in 15/16 tax year?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          I believe so. They simply said they're investigating it and someone will call her back, they call back and say it will be done in two weeks. Then she complained and it's now call back in 1 week.
          Hopefully they do sort this issue out for you within the timescale, but as TheCyclingProgrammer confirms you do have some breathing space if you receive the notice to file a tax return now, or at a later date and will avoid the penalties if filed by the stated timescale on the notice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            If she doesn't have a UTR she wouldn't have received a notice to file a tax return yet, so I wouldn't worry about it being "late". I believe you get 3 months from receipt of the notice to file, even if that is later than 31 Jan.
            WHS

Comment

Thanks folks - HMRC had said as much but I've lost faith in what they say

Yes, the wife is a shareholder so she should probably pay some tax on her dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                Thanks folks - HMRC had said as much but I've lost faith in what they say

Yes, the wife is a shareholder so she should probably pay some tax on her dividends.
                This was discussed on another thread recently I think (or it might have been on the IPSE forums)

There's no need to voluntarily to register for SA. If HMRC think they're missing out, they'll tell you to register. I would have waited for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  This was discussed on another thread recently I think (or it might have been on the IPSE forums)

There's no need to voluntarily to register for SA. If HMRC think they're missing out, they'll tell you to register. I would have waited for that.
                  I disagree. The responsibility is with the taxpayer. Otherwise there's a Failure to Notify risk.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

There's no need to register just because you're just a director or shareholder, but you do have a responsibility to notify HMRC of any untaxed income. HMRC will not request a tax return unless something on their system flags you up as needing one and they can't guess if you've got untaxed income. Failure to notify HMRC by 6 October following the end of the tax year in which you owe tax could result in a penalty.

This doesn't have to necessarily mean registering for SA, if the tax owed is below a certain threshold it can sometimes be collected through your tax code. But you are supposed to notify them.

That being said, unless OP's wife received dividends over the higher rate tax threshold for 15/16, she shouldn't owe any tax. But she probably will for 16/17 due to the new dividend tax changes so would have had to register sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                    X