• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage expense whilst on VAT FRS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    One to throw out for discussion - does switching between Canary Wharf and the Square Mile count as enough of a change of client location to count?
    Always depends on where you're starting from IMO, you've got to consider the journey as a whole, not just the destination. It's all relative.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Always depends on where you're starting from IMO, you've got to consider the journey as a whole, not just the destination. It's all relative.
      Well, if you're coming down from up north, the journey is largely similar until you get to London. There's also the factor of significantly different locations of hotels and other accommodation. Which journey should I count, the daily one or the weekly one?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Well, if you're coming down from up north, the journey is largely similar until you get to London.
        That's my point. If you live relatively close to the city, then you could argue that Canary Wharf is a significant enough change in terms of route and possibly cost. If you're coming from up North, it doesn't seem that significantly different to me.

There's also the factor of significantly different locations of hotels and other accommodation. Which journey should I count, the daily one or the weekly one?
        Not sure on that one to be honest.

Comment

That's my point. If you live relatively close to the city, then you could argue that Canary Wharf is a significant enough change in terms of route and possibly cost. If you're coming from up North, it doesn't seem that significantly different to me.

Not sure on that one to be honest.
          Exactly. If I continue to stay close to CW, then the Square Mile involves a significantly different journey - I can currently walk to CW, whereas the Square Mile would involve DLR (and potentially northern line) or a bus journey.

Time to do the unthinkable and ask my accountant.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Exactly. If I continue to stay close to CW, then the Square Mile involves a significantly different journey - I can currently walk to CW, whereas the Square Mile would involve DLR (and potentially northern line) or a bus journey.

Whatever answer you get on here, or from your accountant, it ultimately comes down to the opinion of HMIT if you have an enquiry. Its one of those ambiguous defined "rules" that are open to interpretation. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you think you can argue your case with an inspector. They will base their decision on previous decisions and examples HMRC already provide, so that's the best you've got to go on and trumps the opinion of anyone here.

Comment

Whatever answer you get on here, or from your accountant, it ultimately comes down to the opinion of HMIT if you have an enquiry. Its one of those ambiguous defined "rules" that are open to interpretation. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you think you can argue your case with an inspector. They will base their decision on previous decisions and examples HMRC already provide, so that's the best you've got to go on and trumps the opinion of anyone here.
              Apart from NLUK of course.

Comment

Apart from NLUK of course.
                And to make that point I've got some comments...
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well, if you're coming down from up north, the journey is largely similar until you get to London. There's also the factor of significantly different locations of hotels and other accommodation. Which journey should I count, the daily one or the weekly one?
                  IMO it's clearly the weekly one. All the documentation discusses permanent place of work and the temporary one. Nowhere does it mentioned from the hotel to the client. Take the hotel out of the equation, that's your choice to stay there and the qualifying journey is from Manchester to London. Otherwise you could just change hotels from somewhere north of London to somewhere south and claim the 24 month resets but you are forgetting the commute from the north.

Comment

Significant compared to what? A change from Manchester to Coventry or between any cities. If so then it suddenly becomes insignificant. A zone, a tube fare? They are significant? A non Londoner would say no. Someone that doesn't think anything exists outside the M25 might say yes.

To add to this a number of articles talk about a journey change of 10 miles.. Canary Wharf to the Square mile is 4.3 miles so again doesn't meet another potential criteria. If every 4.3 mile change resets the clock they might as well bin the entire concept.

Comment

WFH 3 days a week it is then.

Comment

Working...
                      X