• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mileage rate for EVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage rate for EVs

If I use my own petrol car for the business use use of my ltd company I can claim 45p per mile. What's the comparable rate if I have an EV? My accountant seems to think I would just claim the electricity needed to charge my car but HMRC's website seems to indicate it's the same 45p per mile as for a petrol car. Any thoughts please?

I believe company car owners can't claim anything as electricity isn't classed as a fuel.

Privately owned cars can claim normal AMAP rates as it isn't fuel dependent.

I wonder if he's getting confused about ownership of the car? It's a mess on the web trying to find the info out to be fair.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 January 2017, 17:59.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's no change in mileage rate as far as AMAPs are concerned, that I'm aware of, for electric vehicles.

Going by this link, it appears that your accountant is confusing (or has misunderstood what you've asked them) the rules regarding company cars and claiming AMAPs for use of your own personal vehicle.

https://autotrip.co.uk/business-mile...electric-cars/

Incidentally: that AutoTrip thing looks quite nice if you do a lot of business miles and have an accessible OBD2 port. Never come across it before today.

Comment

Originally posted by arby View Post
        If I use my own petrol car for the business use use of my ltd company I can claim 45p per mile. What's the comparable rate if I have an EV? My accountant seems to think I would just claim the electricity needed to charge my car but HMRC's website seems to indicate it's the same 45p per mile as for a petrol car. Any thoughts please?
        It depends as NLUK says, if it's a personally or company owned vehicle.

But if you continue to use your own personal vehicle, even if this is electric/hybird, you can still claim the approved mileage allowance, as you would do normally for your petrol car.

We're all ears!

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa@AardvarkAccounting View Post
          It depends as NLUK says, if it's a personally or company owned vehicle.

But if you continue to use your own personal vehicle, even if this is electric/hybird, you can still claim the approved mileage allowance, as you would do normally for your petrol car.

What about if a company car Louisa? Is it the same rates?

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            What about if a company car Louisa? Is it the same rates?
            It starts getting more complicated with a company car. As usually with a petrol car, all costs are claimed through the company. Then there are a couple of options: the employer pays for all the fuel and then BIK's apply or Advisory Fuel Rates (AFR) can be paid to employees if they pay for the cost of all fuel for the company car personally.

With electric cars; if it's a hybrid you can use AFR. If it's 100% electric, you can't claim AFR.

We're all ears!

Comment

Freeagent & EV mileage claims

Slightly off topic but relevant
              I have recently bought an EV.
              I intend to use it occasionally for the commute to client co.

So on having a pog it is not clear how to 'correctly' enter EV mileage into free agent.
              The "Car Engine Type and Size" drop down field does not include EVs or any Modern Hybrid, freeagent only has Petrol, Diesel & LPG.

I will ask my accountant (4th one since joining Gorilla 12 months ago) what her personal preference is.
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I don't think it matters. The Gov site below doesn't detail any difference between the fuel types and actually says hybrids can be petrol or diesel. I've used both a diesel and petrol and never bothered changing it tbh.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...m-1-march-2016
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If I use my own petrol car for the business use use of my ltd company I can claim 45p per mile. What's the comparable rate if I have an EV?
                  Just remove the word 'petrol', and then the sentence works :-)

The ppm figure has nothing to do with fuel usage, so whether your car does 100mpg, 10mpg or is electric; the ppm is to pay you for using your own car.

Comment

The vehicle type only matters if you're reclaiming VAT on fuel. For personal expenses it's 45p per mile for the first 10k mls.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X