• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax between Limited and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax between Limited and IR35

Hi All

My first post so please go gentle.

So here is my question and scenario. Let suppose I work as limited company contractor earning say £1,00,000/annum and paid £15000 in corporation tax for FY-2016/17.

What if HMRC determine that you were inside IR35 in 2 years time (2018/19) and say you need to pay total Tax and NI as an employee worth £40,000 for FY-2016/17.

So does one pay the balance 25000 (40000-15000) or they need to pay the full amount?
    If HMRC determine that you were an employee then you obviously were not limited company. Does one get corporation tax refund?

Thanks in advance.

It's the net difference.

Effectively everything (CT, PAYE, divvies) is thrown back into the pot and the calculation is made afresh as if the contract earnings (minus allowable expenses) were paid out as salary. The tax liability on your co is then the difference between this and the taxes actually paid by your co and you personally.

Plus interest at HMRC rates.

Plus penalties (in theory, but unlikely in most cases AIUI).

Comment

Dunno about your number but you've got a case to go on here. In the JlJ split decision he was deemed inside for 4 years of a contract and they wanted £140,000 off him. Dunno how that was broken down but wouldn't be too bad to guess for 2 years in your case you might be looking at a 70k bill if that helps.

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/001...ir35_case.html

Any chance of some context so we might be able to give our view. If you are this concerned do we assume you are in a grey area or considering an inside gig and hoping you'll get away with it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you guys for some insight.

To provide some context to scenario, I am in current role for less than 12 months (working in public sector). Prior to this I was with another organisation for 2 years again in public sector (worked with 5 different team) and contract renewal at different rates each time.

Also I am insured for current year from Qdos consulting (Tax cover & inquiry policy and professional indemnity).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by londonlad View Post
          Thank you guys for some insight.

To provide some context to scenario, I am in current role for less than 12 months (working in public sector). Prior to this I was with another organisation for 2 years again in public sector (worked with 5 different team) and contract renewal at different rates each time.

Also I am insured for current year from Qdos consulting (Tax cover & inquiry policy and professional indemnity).

Thanks
          Means precisely zilch come April.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Means precisely zilch come April.
            Sorry, didn't understand what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If you are this concerned do we assume you are in a grey area or considering an inside gig and hoping you'll get away with it?
              I don't think I am in grey area as my contract and working practise clearly put me outside. Further more I also have IR35 review from Qdos which clearly deemed me outside.

The reason for the post is curious mind and be ready for all eventuality as we all know how HMRC behaves...

Comment

I don't think I am in grey area as my contract and working practise clearly put me outside.
                You do know that from April there will be no such thing as 'outside IR35' as far as a public sector contract is concerned, don't you? If you're public sector, then you'll be inside IR35. And this will be for any money you are paid in April, even for work you did before April but not paid until after 1st April. (Because they are bastards like that).

There is also a risk that HMRC will decide that if your contract is automatically IR35 in April, then obviously it was inside IR35 before April. Because they are bastards like that.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  You do know that from April there will be no such thing as 'outside IR35' as far as a public sector contract is concerned, don't you? If you're public sector, then you'll be inside IR35. And this will be for any money you are paid in April, even for work you did before April but not paid until after 1st April. (Because they are bastards like that).

There is also a risk that HMRC will decide that if your contract is automatically IR35 in April, then obviously it was inside IR35 before April. Because they are bastards like that.
                  Yes Chopper, I do know about the new legislation and will be ending my current contract soon (a week before 31st March).

The organisation is proposing me to either go PAYE or brolly. Nope I don't think its good idea...

Comment

Yes Chopper, I do know about the new legislation and will be ending my current contract soon (a week before 31st March).

The organisation is proposing me to either go PAYE or brolly. Nope I don't think its good idea...
                    I wouldn't have thought finishing week before the legislation kicks in is the best idea either TBH.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X