• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick Corporation Tax Liability Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Corporation Tax Liability Question

Hoping someone can clear this up. Just discussing this earlier today at client co with fellow contractors. I think we're all on about the same thing, but we're wording it differently!

Basically, if I have sales of £10,000 and I have no expenses, then corporation tax is paid on £10,000....correct?

If I have sales of £10,000, and expenses are £5,000 - whether that's a computer, company pension contribution, or anything else - then corporation tax is paid on £5,000? Or can you only claim 20% of the expense (£1,000) - therefore leaving you to pay CT on £9,000?

Just thought I'd post it up here as I think we've all had conflicting/confusing explanations from our accountants for something relatively simple.

Profit = Revenue - Costs

You pay corporation tax on profits.

If your accountant cannot explain that, it's time for a new accountant.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Corporation tax

Yes that's correct. You would pay corporation tax based on the net profit. Your sales would exclusive of VAT that you would pay corporation tax on. If you are on the flat rate VAT scheme, this would be the gross invoice less flat rate VAT payable to HMRC.

Is there no salary in place from the company to yourself?

If your expenses were £5,000 with turnover of £10,000, you would pay CT on £5,000, so £1,000 of CT and the remaining £4,000 is what's available for you take out of the company as a dividend.

Comment

A bunch of contractors can't explain this between them is very worrying.

The fact that no one can use Google to find the basics is even worse.

http://www.contractoruk.com/limited_...tor_taxes.html
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 January 2017, 11:42.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bathingape View Post
          Hoping someone can clear this up. Just discussing this earlier today at client co with fellow contractors. I think we're all on about the same thing, but we're wording it differently!

Basically, if I have sales of £10,000 and I have no expenses, then corporation tax is paid on £10,000....correct?

If I have sales of £10,000, and expenses are £5,000 - whether that's a computer, company pension contribution, or anything else - then corporation tax is paid on £5,000? Or can you only claim 20% of the expense (£1,000) - therefore leaving you to pay CT on £9,000?

Just thought I'd post it up here as I think we've all had conflicting/confusing explanations from our accountants for something relatively simple.
          that is both incredible, and yet not surprising.

Hope you're not the muppet in that conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            that is both incredible, and yet not surprising.

Hope you're not the muppet in that conversation.
            (S)He is in this one
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              (S)He is in this one
              I was actually right in this one

I was right all along...I just happened to get sucked into their convo and made me doubt myself!

Comment

Working...
              X