• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two really quick questions - sorry guys, I know you've heard them all before!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osiris1337 View Post
    Our finances are pretty separate. We have no joint bank accounts and no joint assets. We are in rented accommodation and household direct debits are set up in my name. Things like her mobile phone contract, her health insurance etc come out of her bank.
    IMO with that set up and the length of time you've been together you are exposing yourself to much more risk than you are going save yourself. You are talking about saving not much more tax at the distinct possibility someone will own half of company when it goes south. I'd just wait until that risk dies down personally.

Ok cool, so let me provide more information. I live in London and I work in London, so my commute consists of a tube journey each day to and from work. Aside from a handful of occasions, I will be based at the same office for the duration of the contract. The bit I believe I might get caught out on with the 24 month rule is the Fixed Term Appointment part, which would seem to make my workplace get regarded as a Permanent Workplace.
    Still not detailed enough. London is a very difficult subject. Working in the square mile is documented (I believe) to not reset the 24 month rule. There is a large grey area about east and west London with many people having different opinions. If the journey is significantly different and costs significantly more then the rule 'might' reset. IMO and extra 20 mins, few stops and a few quid is not significant.

How about you read the articles in the right and use the search method as explained in a sticky in the FAQ area rather than us open this can of worms based on incomplete information. There is more than enough discussion in those for you to make you own opinion. If you can't then my view is working and living there means journey cannot really be that significantly different so you can't claim an expenses for this, and argue any previous gig's you've done.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      IMO with that set up and the length of time you've been together you are exposing yourself to much more risk than you are going save yourself. You are talking about saving not much more tax at the distinct possibility someone will own half of company when it goes south. I'd just wait until that risk dies down personally.
      I agree. However, am I right in saying that nothing is stopping me gifting my girlfriend a percentage of the company? My accountant implied I actually could not do it unless we were married.

Working in the square mile is documented (I believe) to not reset the 24 month rule.
      I don't work within the square mile, but I get the point you're making. My previous (permanent) job was a different route to the current one, but no different in terms of time. Also I actually live in Zone 1... which probably doesn't help my case either . A couple of colleagues live in Zone 4 and work in Zone 1 and they claimed their travel expenses for the first 24 months contracting, then paid the costs themselves thereafter. Also, as you say, it seems to be a very grey area and one that is just going to be a judgement call.

Working and living there means journey cannot really be that significantly different so you can't claim an expenses for this
      Yeah I agree. Plus with that Fixed Term Appointment thing, I think my workplace wouldn't even qualify as temporary anyway.

Comment

Since most issues come down to "well you can, but whether you should depends on...", I think I'm asking the wrong questions. I'm going to ask my accountant to estimate the risk level associated with claiming expenses. Over this weekend, I've read all the HMRC docs myself and frankly I'm still at the "well I can but there's a risk", so I guess their experience in the field regarding how many people on their books have been investigated, what the results were etc, will allow me to make a better informed decision.

There's a risk in getting on a plane - albeit tiny - but everyone does it...

Comment

I agree. However, am I right in saying that nothing is stopping me gifting my girlfriend a percentage of the company? My accountant implied I actually could not do it unless we were married.
          I don't know. I thought it was a no no and many of the guides appear to say something similar but a couple of our esteemed posters put up some arguments that tend to suggest otherwise but a) not distinctly enough for me and b) not for someone in your situation. I think you are crazy for wanting to do it for the reasons already mentioned but it appears from that comment you don't really care about the warnings so just full your boots.

I don't work within the square mile, but I get the point you're making. My previous (permanent) job was a different route to the current one, but no different in terms of time. Also I actually live in Zone 1... which probably doesn't help my case either . A couple of colleagues live in Zone 4 and work in Zone 1 and they claimed their travel expenses for the first 24 months contracting, then paid the costs themselves thereafter. Also, as you say, it seems to be a very grey area and one that is just going to be a judgement call.
          The clock doesn't reset just because you switched from perm to contract I don't believe. If the next gig that get is close enough then that is still classed as their permanent workplace. I think you are looking at the wrong bit with that FTA. As I say, again, there are plenty of guides to the right and all the legislation that covers this has been linked more than enough times. Hell there is even a stickied thread in exactly this that I believe dissolved in to a London argument... But.. If you live and work in zone 1 you are screwed. And take your permie work in to consideration as well.
          Yeah I agree. Plus with that Fixed Term Appointment thing, I think my workplace wouldn't even qualify as temporary anyway.
          I think that is not the piece of leguslation that is your problem.

Comment

But I'm guessing you still won't go and do any research so the sticky I mentioned is here

http://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=95689

Comment

I want to maximise my after tax income, should I be without work for a period of time.
              I think you've just fallen over here. By making your girlfriend a shareholder, you are minimising the tax yourCo pays, but you are not maximising your income - the income is hers and hers alone. Why would you give away n% of yourCo's income?

Re living in zone1 - get a company bike and get fit at the same time as commuting

Comment

Op. I would seriously hope that you have misinterpreted what your accountant said.

You can gift any asset (which is what the shares are) to anybody you damn well please. Including your cat (if you have one).

It really is no different than, say, giving her your car.

That is in terms of the ownership of course, not the potential taxation consequences. (Your words make it clear to me that the arrangement should be caught - that doesnt mean i am right - and this thread will most likely be presented to you in any enquiry).

Now, on the assumption that ir is not caught have you worked out what your tax saving will be? It wont necessarily be a lot. And the more your partner earns, the smaller it will be.

A good question to ask yourself is "would i do this for simply anybody". If the answer is no - which if it isn't where do i sign - then hmrc view is "caught".

A full investigation is an expensive process. Defending it will cost more than the tax saved in all probability. Losing will likely double the tax bill and present it to you. Holding your hands up will also involve the tax, likely 25 pc penalty and interest.

Of course it is hard to quantify the risk of investigation.

Your money, your risk, your choice. But in my view you are definitely well inside the grey zone.

Comment

Working...
                X