Agency won't stop Self Billing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Agency won't stop Self Billing

    I started a contract last month with a new agency. Before starting I opted out of the Self Billing arrangment as allowed and clearly stated in the contract. They confirmed that I had been withdrawn.

    I invoiced them at the end of the month but a few days later have received a document from them that:
    • says "SELF BILL INVOICE" across the top
    • has the wrong Invoice Number
    • has the wrong Invoice Date on it

    So far they've said that they can't change the invoice because they use an automated system.
    FWIW I am VAT registered.
    1. How can I get them to stop self-billing me?
    2. What problems does the creation of two different invoices for the same piece of work cause?

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,744
    Thanks (Given)
    19
    Thanks (Received)
    84
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    280

    Default

    1 I have never found an agency who was able to withdraw self billing if they had it.

    2 I make an invoice for the job but I don't send it. It helps to keep things straight to me.

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    GillsMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    757
    Thanks (Given)
    10
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Given)
    289
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    1 I have never found an agency who was able to withdraw self billing if they had it.

    2 I make an invoice for the job but I don't send it. It helps to keep things straight to me.
    +1 - this is exactly what I do. In fact, for one of my clients, I wait until the agency generates the self-bill invoice, then I create my own invoice for my records.

    Quote Originally Posted by openshac View Post
    1. What problems does the creation of two different invoices for the same piece of work cause?
    None. Just don't do anything with the agency's self bill invoice. I don't even file it anywhere (though I save the email of course).

  4. #4

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GillsMan View Post
    +1 - this is exactly what I do. In fact, for one of my clients, I wait until the agency generates the self-bill invoice, then I create my own invoice for my records.


    None. Just don't do anything with the agency's self bill invoice. I don't even file it anywhere (though I save the email of course).
    In the eyes of HMRC, does the agency's self bill invoice create a duplicate tax point?

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,744
    Thanks (Given)
    19
    Thanks (Received)
    84
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by openshac View Post
    In the eyes of HMRC, does the agency's self bill invoice create a duplicate tax point?
    IIRC, HMRC don't like you creating another invoice. But I guess you'd have to be pretty dumb to make them aware you were doing that, even in a home visit and I'd never agree to that anyway.

  6. #6

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,338
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    218
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by openshac View Post
    In the eyes of HMRC, does the agency's self bill invoice create a duplicate tax point?
    No, it creates the tax point since you won't be submitting yours for payment.

    This whole issue is fundamentally wrong since it was never meant to apply to the continuing supply of services in the first place, (it was for repeat delivery of singe objects like car parts) but it's not going to change since it saves the agency lots of time and money.

    In our defence there is also a requirement that our invoices are numbered sequentially, which the agencies' ones won't align with, so all we're doing is keeping our own records straight. If you want to be really super picky you can mark your invoice as "Paid by agency against invoice no nnnn", but there's really little point.
    Blog? What blog...?

  7. #7

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    27,716
    Thanks (Given)
    1382
    Thanks (Received)
    1115
    Likes (Given)
    4481
    Likes (Received)
    4140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by openshac View Post
    In the eyes of HMRC, does the agency's self bill invoice create a duplicate tax point?
    You should only be showing one invoice.

    Some agencies now allow you to enter your own numbering in their system the generated invoice will have two invoice numbers - yours and theirs.

    As the only reason to duplicate an invoice is due to numbering then simply do the same. The date etc should be exactly the same so there is only one tax point.

    I did have an agency years ago who expected their invoice numbering to be manually added to your invoice somewhere.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  8. #8

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    No, it creates the tax point since you won't be submitting yours for payment.

    This whole issue is fundamentally wrong since it was never meant to apply to the continuing supply of services in the first place, (it was for repeat delivery of singe objects like car parts) but it's not going to change since it saves the agency lots of time and money.

    In our defence there is also a requirement that our invoices are numbered sequentially, which the agencies' ones won't align with, so all we're doing is keeping our own records straight. If you want to be really super picky you can mark your invoice as "Paid by agency against invoice no nnnn", but there's really little point.
    Why does the second invoice (the agency's self billing invoice) create the tax point? Their invoice is created and dated after I have submitted my invoice.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,569
    Thanks (Given)
    15
    Thanks (Received)
    89
    Likes (Given)
    156
    Likes (Received)
    329

    Default

    I send a copy of the invoice I create with the words.


    "For your records can you please keep copies of this invoice in your files please?
    This is in addition to the auto-generated invoice created by the time sheet system but it contains valuable information regarding services that have been delivered."

    I don't care whether they file it or not but I've shifted the burden of record keeping to them.

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I send a copy of the invoice I create with the words.


    "For your records can you please keep copies of this invoice in your files please?
    This is in addition to the auto-generated invoice created by the time sheet system but it contains valuable information regarding services that have been delivered."

    I don't care whether they file it or not but I've shifted the burden of record keeping to them.
    Does that actually guarantee that a duplicate tax point is not created?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.