• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency won't stop Self Billing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the tax office are interested is that the following information is on the invoice:

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-tak...y-must-include

Anything else doesn't matter.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by openshac View Post
      Why does the second invoice (the agency's self billing invoice) create the tax point? Their invoice is created and dated after I have submitted my invoice.
      If you Google the relevant HMRC pages it states that if you agree to self-billing you don't create an invoice so the agency's date is the one you use. It's tough if it's later.

As you haven't agreed to self-billing go over the agent's head to one of the directors and/or the admin staff in the agency to sort out the issue with your invoices.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why does the second invoice (the agency's self billing invoice) create the tax point? Their invoice is created and dated after I have submitted my invoice.
        Fair point. In which case your invoice is the tax point and theirs becomes merely a Remittance Advice. To be precise, in continuing services like ours, the tax point is set by when the work is charged for which, in your case, is when you issue your invoice.

(One thing just occurred - if you're using FRS, does the tax point really matter?)
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The "tax point" should be a unique identification number for the invoice. All the other information needs to be recorded as well and should match with the agency. Whether it says "self billing" or not is irrelevant.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            If you Google the relevant HMRC pages it states that if you agree to self-billing you don't create an invoice so the agency's date is the one you use. It's tough if it's later.

As you haven't agreed to self-billing go over the agent's head to one of the directors and/or the admin staff in the agency to sort out the issue with your invoices.
            I did speak to them but they just said they can't do anything as the system they use "is not set up for this and [they] are unable to manipulate the system".

What other options do I have to stop them from Self Billing?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Fair point. In which case your invoice is the tax point and theirs becomes merely a Remittance Advice. To be precise, in continuing services like ours, the tax point is set by when the work is charged for which, in your case, is when you issue your invoice.

(One thing just occurred - if you're using FRS, does the tax point really matter?)
              Yes, but to avoid paying VAT on money invoiced but not yet received you have to elect to use cash accounting.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I did speak to them but they just said they can't do anything as the system they use "is not set up for this and [they] are unable to manipulate the system".

None at all. On second thoughts, quitting the gig would stop them pretty smartish.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Leave and find an agency / client that doesn't operate self billing.

Comment

Create your own invoice by all means.

To prevent the duplicate Tax Point, just head it "Pro-forma Invoice", and keep it for your records as a cross-reference.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Does that actually guarantee that a duplicate tax point is not created?
                      No idea. I use the same invoice reference though. And only get paid once.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X