• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting Fees...Too much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DucknDog View Post
    Hi, I have a question about accounting fees as the one I'm with seems to be charging an extortionate amount.

I'm an IT contractor and I switched from an umbrella company to going LTD in August after being talked into going with their LTD service, earn £100 week extra etc. I'm paying £145 per month for a full accounting service and as my contract comes to an end at the end of December I intend to close the company, they have told me that they will charge me £750 to do this. So I'm going to have paid a total of £1475 for 6 months of accounting work.

They will also charge me £260 just to leave them.

Is this too much or pretty standard?

P.S. I know now that setting up a LTD company for just 6 months was a stupid idea but went on the advice of the accountants.
    Even though you contracted for 6 months - the work involved in filling accounts is the same. But I agree its on the higher side.

Comment

Churchill knight per chance?

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, for those that are curious its ClearSky (Parasol).

For the sake of a few months I think I'll just stay, it's the £750 closure fee that really winds me up though, at the end of it all I probably would have been better off just staying with the umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          It's definitely on their "to do" list, don't think that's a secret...it's just a relatively complex task so not something a couple of developers can knock up in a few days.

There used to be a big divide between "bookkeeping software" and "accounting/tax software", with only accountancy firms traditionally having the latter, due to it being very complex and often expensive. These two are increasingly blurring, with VAT and payroll being an inbuilt part of many bookkeeping packages these days, some also doing self assessment, and within a few years I'm sure a few will offer statutory accounts and corporation tax too, at least for fairly straight forward small businesses.

However, I agree with Martin @Contratax. As with so many things in this world, just because you can DIY (which people have been perfectly able to for yonks) doesn't mean everybody will, or indeed should.
          I agree, that's why I think what I have is a neat compromise not costing a fortune each month.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            If you continue contracting, I can recommend a FreeAgent accountant that I am happy with who charges GBP 49 per month +VAT and no hidden charges. Yes, you are being royally ripped off. Please name and shame.
            Being enjoying the advice you are sharing Fred I'm very new to contracting and interested to know whether you are operating as a sole trader or a limited company? Had a browse today and seems like for limited companies it does got up to 100 pounds/month including VAT...yesterday I got quoted 33 pounds/week +VAT which is up there in the clouds...

Comment

Originally posted by tananq View Post
              Being enjoying the advice you are sharing Fred I'm very new to contracting and interested to know whether you are operating as a sole trader or a limited company? Had a browse today and seems like for limited companies it does got up to 100 pounds/month including VAT...yesterday I got quoted 33 pounds/week +VAT which is up there in the clouds...
              This is about the norm for a typical IT contractor Ltd company setup. Any higher and you are paying to much.

Comment

I am not operating in the UK at the moment so I am neither of those. Thank you for the compliment about my postings, I try to share my experience with others for better or worse, you can get better services at lower costs if you look around like I did. For FreeAgent accountancy
                services look at my recommendations. You could save yourself significant money over the years.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

A typical full service accounting fee is from £69+vat pm. If you plan to contract for at least one year, you will benefit from a vat registration and you will be able to reclaim the vat or register under the flat rate in your first year and you can make a sureplus over the vat you will normally be able to recover from purchases.

Comment

Don't get hung up on the monthly fee. Correct, compliance advice will save you £,000's! Most of the 'cheap' boys out there still don't know the principles of IR35 which is scary! - then again I'm sure the government doesn't either!!!

I'm sure there are enough seasoned pro's on here who will share this sentiment.

Also, watch out for hidden fees

Comment

Originally posted by Dan@OrangeGenie View Post
                      Don't get hung up on the monthly fee. Correct, compliance advice will save you £,000's! Most of the 'cheap' boys out there still don't know the principles of IR35 which is scary! - then again I'm sure the government doesn't either!!!

I'm sure there are enough seasoned pro's on here who will share this sentiment.

Also, watch out for hidden fees
                      Not just the cheap boys who didn't know about IR35. I know of a very large accountancy group that didn't ask new clients what their IR35 position was, didn't ask to see the contract and assumed all clients were outside IR35! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
                      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                      X