• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiting a person who alreay has another job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    IIRC the typical cost of fighting an IR35 investigation is circa £20K and a lot of sleepless nights.
    Most IR35 investigations that are lost do so because people try to deal with HMRC themselves and only engage a professional when it's too late.

Nearly all (maybe all) IR35 investigations do not begin as an IR35 investigation, which means that if you don't have professional representation from the start then the chances of getting something wrong increase.

Personally I like the thought that as soon as the brown envelope hits the mat, I have someone that I can call to handle that for me.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      IIRC the typical cost of fighting an IR35 investigation is circa £20K and a lot of sleepless nights.
      About 2 years worth from what we've heard from two people who have been through it on here.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Most IR35 investigations that are lost do so because people try to deal with HMRC themselves and only engage a professional when it's too late.

Nearly all (maybe all) IR35 investigations do not begin as an IR35 investigation, which means that if you don't have professional representation from the start then the chances of getting something wrong increase.

Personally I like the thought that as soon as the brown envelope hits the mat, I have someone that I can call to handle that for me.
        Very true Faq.

Comment

Just out of interest, which one would you guys get - https://www.qdoscontractor.com/insurance/tax-ir35-cover ?

I guess the complete peace of mind is worth an additional 100 squid..

Comment

Originally posted by ndl View Post
            Just out of interest, which one would you guys get - https://www.qdoscontractor.com/insurance/tax-ir35-cover ?

Plenty of discussion on the different products and whether you should get both or not.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ip...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There is a lack of re-world evidence so comes down to your personal attitude to the risk really. If you browse enough of those threads you'll see three camps emerging. Those that don't think it's needed at all, those that think one or the other is fine and both is a waste of time and those that have both because it's cheap enough to just not worry about it.

Which camp you are in is up to you really.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had IPSE+ membership ever since it was recommended to me on here ten years ago.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I try to manage the accounting myself. Everything seems to be going well apart from this question here. I assume you are not recommending to get an accountant just to sort this one out?
                Don't waste your money on an accountant. Work with the posters on this thread, testing and probing ideas and teasing out common themes until there is a consensus, and go with that.

Comment

Working...
                X