• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant: No terms & Conditions. Taken money. No invoice.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant: No terms & Conditions. Taken money. No invoice.

Hello
    I've used an accountant for last year's tax return (December 2015).
    Some months later, I logged into my Government Gateway and saw I was due a tax rebate. I have chased and chased for this. The accountant's father died in May, which is very sad, and has been used persistently as an excuse not to pay.
    Finally, after eight months, I received the rebate yesterday with half deducted.
    I left an angry voicemail and today I have been emailed to say that it was to cover their fees.

I understand they need paying, but I have no letter of engagement, no quote for the work done, and no invoice. Are they allowed to just do this? If not, what should I do?

Many thanks
    Terri

Originally posted by LostInLDN View Post
    Hello
    I've used an accountant for last year's tax return (December 2015).
    Some months later, I logged into my Government Gateway and saw I was due a tax rebate. I have chased and chased for this. The accountant's father died in May, which is very sad, and has been used persistently as an excuse not to pay.
    Finally, after eight months, I received the rebate yesterday with half deducted.
    I left an angry voicemail and today I have been emailed to say that it was to cover their fees.

I understand they need paying, but I have no letter of engagement, no quote for the work done, and no invoice. Are they allowed to just do this? If not, what should I do?

Many thanks
    Terri
    Was this your pre-existing accountant or was this work a one off? Were any emails exchanged between the 2 of you regarding the cost of this work, or giving them your details to give to HMRC to allow them to log your details into the HMRC system (think there needs to be permission given somewhere to HMRC to allow them to file on your behalf, it's been a while since I appointed my accountant). How did you give them your figures for the year.

Comment

If they have charged you fees you are due an invoice with those fees detailed. They can't just take an arbitrary amount of that they feel is right.

Ask them for the invoice and break down on fees. Be prepared to complaint about them if you are getting no where.

Make a complaint | Act in the public interest | ICAEW

EDIT : By the way how much is half. Don't accountants charge upwards of £250 or returns or something?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What was agreed in terms of cost/fee for their services ?

Put in a formal complaint to their professional body, as the accountant should always provide a letter of engagement at the start of any undertaking. Did you not ask them for this from your side ?

Comment

The starting point is whether the accountant is a member of a professional body, eg ACCA, ICEW, AAT.

If so, then the starting point is their professional body.

If not, then trading standards, who probably will be litte help.

If they are a member of a professional body, then rules will be different between each body. AFAIR, for example, engagement letters aren't mandatory, but it raises eyebrows if they are not there. Some bodies, eg ACCA, mandate that an "alternate" must be in place so that if a member is distracted due to circumstances like you describe, someone else takes over (obvs this internal in a larger firm).

Good luck, but I fear it will be an uphill struggle.

Comment

Working...
          X