• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule and getting extension to run just short of it

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule and getting extension to run just short of it

Yes know the rules. Once you know, that it no more expenses.

My first contract was, for some reason, 3 months and 1 week. Then theres been 3 months at a time up until now - 21 months. So next 3 months will take me OVER 24 months.

Aware that massaging things to prevent this is probably frowned upon by HMRC.

So I had a word with client, who I get on very well with. Explained the 24 month rule and said, look, off the record, an extension for 2 months and 2 weeks would be ideal. I could then claim expenses right up to - they agreed to this.

But its gone off to head office and agency and today offer has come back - 3 months. Don't know yet whether this is clientco head office saying no cant be doing all that messing around its 3 months, or agency.

Either way I would say since its been offered, it would look not good if they backtracked and amended it.

Not a huge amount of money, but its probably going to cost me £400-£500 in expenses I now can't claim and will be paying CT on.

Anyone ever been in similar situation?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

You lose. The expectation is that you will get a renewal therefore the artificial short-term contract won't satisfy the rules. In fact, you should already have stopped claiming since you wouldn't be negotiating if you didn't expected to be renewed.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So let me get this straight.. You've asked your client to lop off around £400*10 days = £4000 off your renewal just so you can claim expenses??

Anyone else been in this situation? Where a client won't bugger about just to suit your tax situation?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So let me get this straight.. You've asked your client to lop off around £400*10 days = £4000 off your renewal just so you can claim expenses??

But.....its gonna cost him £400-500 in expenses
        Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 26 August 2016, 10:59.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Yes know the rules. Once you know, that it no more expenses.
          Obviously you don't.

What is the 24 Month Rule? - Contractor Weekly

However if during the 24-month period it becomes apparent that the engagement will exceed 24 months then at this time expenses are no longer claimable.
          until you have reason to believe your contract may last over 24 months.
          https://www.gov.uk/government/public...m-6-april-2016
          •goes to the same workplace in the course of a period of continuous work which lasts or is likely to last more than 24 months, or
          None of the guides say no. They use the terms as you can see above. As you are BAU with no project deliverables you could argue the expectation should be there from the first day let alone this situation where you know it will so you are trying to bend the rules.

IF and that's a big IF you can change milestones of a project to suit then you move from in the tulip to rocky ground... But a BAU bod changing days to suit a tax rule. Not a chance.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 6 October 2021, 15:34.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            You lose. The expectation is that you will get a renewal therefore the artificial short-term contract won't satisfy the rules. In fact, you should already have stopped claiming since you wouldn't be negotiating if you didn't expected to be renewed.
            I think I do in this case I must admit. Not sure I agree with the "expecting a renewal" argument.

You could argue that after a year, you could expect to recieve extensions after this over 24 months. But in reality you cant expect anything.

I've been offered extensions verbally int he past that have then been vetoed by head office and didnt happen.

Sorry in my book, I can't expect to be somewhere until the contract is offered.

Comment

Depends on your appetite for risk. This is one of those things that will only come to light if HMRC ever do a thorough investigation into your expenses.

I've had such an investigation years ago (so their approach may have since changed) and IIRC they didn't even want to check the contract terms or start/end/renewal dates as regards the 24 month rule. They just wanted breakdown of the expenses figure for mileage, accommodation, PIE, to make sure it looked legit, then moved onto pension contributions, then got bored after about 6 months of letters to and fro and said I owed them nothing.

Not sure the worry is worth it for a few months of expenses. They are like a dog with a bone if they think you're hiding something, whether you are or not.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Anyone else been in this situation? Where a client won't bugger about just to suit your tax situation?
                Makes no odds to the client. Come November they're either going to want me to stay over xmas or not - two weeks isnt going to matter.

Also, as you know, just because the contract says end of november they could get rid of me end octrober if they so desired.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  I think I do in this case I must admit. Not sure I agree with the "expecting a renewal" argument.
                  Well you should.. How can...

So I had a word with client, who I get on very well with. Explained the 24 month rule and said, look, off the record, an extension for 2 months and 2 weeks would be ideal. I could then claim expenses right up to - they agreed to this.
                  Not be anything but expecting a renewal which is Mal's point.

Comment

Obviously you don't.

What is the 24 Month Rule? - Contractor Weekly

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...m-6-april-2016

None of the guides say no. They use the terms as you can see above. As you are BAU with no project deliverables you could argue the expectation should be there from the first day let alone this situation where you know it will so you are trying to bend the rules.

IF and that's a big IF you can change milestones of a project to suit then you move from in the tulip to rocky ground... But a BAU bod changing days to suit a tax rule. Not a chance.
                    What a load of tosh. So anyone who starts a BAU rule shouldnt claim because they'll be there more than two years. Heard it all now.

You do know that some companies get BAU people in to cover permies for things like maternity leave, permies seconded to other depts for a few months etc? These sort of gigs they know up front how long they want you.

Also, I do BAU and project work not just BAU.
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 6 October 2021, 15:34.

Comment

Working...
                    X