• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment dependent on contracting company receiving payment first

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment dependent on contracting company receiving payment first

Hi all

I have been offered contracting work with a company on a job by job basis, but one term concerns me. It is that my payment for jobs will only be paid to me once payment is received for that job by the contracting company.

Is this common? It seems a bit odd to me that I am being asked to share risk of non-payment and help manage their cashflow - or is this normal?

Cheers

Originally posted by aboylikedave View Post
    Hi all

I have been offered contracting work with a company on a job by job basis, but one term concerns me. It is that my payment for jobs will only be paid to me once payment is received for that job by the contracting company.

Is this common? It seems a bit odd to me that I am being asked to share risk of non-payment and help manage their cashflow - or is this normal?

Cheers
    I've seen it on contracts before and every time I've continued looking or gone elsewhere...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I've seen it on contracts before and every time I've continued looking or gone elsewhere...
      +1 Avoid, this is how people lose a lot of money
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Run don't walk away from this.

The company will lie to you about not receiving payment when the end-client will have actually paid them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Run don't walk away from this.

The company will lie to you about not receiving payment when the end-client will have actually paid them.
          Totally forgot that second bit - and there will be a clause that stops you checking whether the end client has paid the agency or not...

Personally my viewpoint is that an agency has to do one thing for the money they are earning from me. And that is paying me ASAP regardless of how long the end client takes to pay them...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Totally forgot that second bit - and there will be a clause that stops you checking whether the end client has paid the agency or not...
            If the company realise clients are slow payers they should give you a longer payment term e.g. 21 or 30 calendar days rather than put you don't get paid if we don't.

As this stops arguments and you going legal/threatening to beat up the agent when you find that the end-client paid their bills promptly because they want you back and told you directly.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A few years ago, I jumped on a new contract close to home after being on the bench for a while, quickly running out of cash.

The project was ill advised, the client was useless and things were going south quickly - and then I submitted my invoice for the first months work and was told to check my contract terms (I hadn't properly - big lesson there) that I wasn't going to be paid until the company i was contracted to (a small IT shop, never again) was paid themselves.

The end client would not pay their invoices on time, and started refusing to pay for anything till problems with the project were rectified (not my fault) so I ended up getting increasingly stressed worrying about money and the direction of the project.

I'll NEVER work for small IT shops, or for anyone who won't pay you until they get paid, again. Neither should you.

Comment

Originally posted by aboylikedave View Post
                Hi all

Cheers
                Do you have anywhere a clause in the contract that says that you agree to opt out of the Agency Regulations?

Comment

In general - avoid. But it all comes to managing risk/reward. If the payment term is a week or two (I doubt it is) and you don't have anything else lined up - it might be wort the risk. Anything above that too much of a risk in my book in any case.

Comment

To me the only benefit of agencies from a contractors perspective is them factoring invoices so you get paid before they do, alarm bells should ring if they can't even offer that while taking their 10-20% margin. Walk away.

Comment

Working...
                    X